1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

18z Model Run...Oh the East Coast Storm !

Discussion in 'Weather' started by rob guarino, Oct 23, 2012.

1. rob guarino

rob guarino Member
    from AZ

2. plowin4u

plowin4u Member

Very interesting, I guess we will have to wait and see.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Oh cripes, not a blog about GFS this, NAM that. Go through the Minnesota weather thread about last.... when was that.... sometime last year.

Everyone was all up in arms, we had an 18z GFS that was spitting out we were going to get 30" of snow. It was by far going to be the most we had had all season for a TOTAL at that point, and we're talking late February if I remember right.

You know what we got? 3/4", and most of that melted before it could be plowed.

Anyways, stick with sticking your head out the window. If it's snowing, go plow. If it isn't, play MW3 (soon to be Black Ops II) until it is.

4. rob guarino

rob guarino Member
    from AZ

No disrespect LwnmwrMan22....

We are showing this because of the potential danger early next week (wind & flooding)...no more no less. I think too many remember a missed forecast vs. all the ones that were dead on.

Just remember when you get snow and we give you a heads up....it why we pushed through 4 years of calculus, physics and more. We love the art of forecasting but not everyone will be right. Just like when you plow and you hit that curb and or hidden car...hey it happens.

Here's to a great winter ahead of snow and ice...and we'll be there to guide you through it...even if you hit that car LOL.

5. rob guarino

rob guarino Member
    from AZ

6. rob guarino

rob guarino Member
    from AZ

7. rob guarino

rob guarino Member
    from AZ

8. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

The perfect storm was not a hurricane running up the eastern coast , there were 3 or 4 other things that converged over the northeast ( that nobody saw coming except Boston weather guy Tod Gross) that made it happen . There were not warnings three weeks in advance of it either , your doing a great disservice using the term perfect storm for a tropical depression , If you were here to see the real one you would know what Im talking about. The storm blowing up from a small weather event is what got the Andrea Gail not a hurricane lumbering up the coast weeks in advance , they would have been in the bar drinking not fishing if it was like this. Stop using that term when sitting in Arizona.

9. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

10. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

LOL I'll take the bait too...
    "With a rare mix of three big merging weather systems over a densely populated region, experts predict at least $1 billion in damage."

The original perfect storm was in 1936.
    http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2008/05/the-imperfect-storm.html
    The first use of the expression in the meteorological sense comes from the March 20, 1936, issue of the Port Arthur (Texas) News: “The weather bureau describes the disturbance as ‘the perfect storm’ of its type. Seven factors were involved in the chain of circumstances that led to the flood.”

You must be incredibly old to remember it and talk about it like that. At your advanced age, I guess it's normal to be that crotchety. If you served in World War II, we thank you for your service. Can you post pictures of your first plow on a Model T? You might need your great-great-grandson to help.

:p ;):waving:

11. rob guarino

rob guarino Member
    from AZ

12. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

And your point is ?

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Note that is the first use of the grammatical term perfect storm. Major catastrophic storms have been happening though out history. For example the 1901 Galveston hurricane was a storm of much greater magnitude and loss of life than any of the "perfect storms" you are referring to. You would never use the term if it wasn't for a movie.

No I'm not old enough to have been there but I am old enough to read books and study history.

the picture you requested

1920 Meyer.jpg

14. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

you guys kidding me , argue over a weather statement ??come on we can all do better than this. Regardless of names this is going to hurt many many people and many will be without power,water and whatever else. We should all hope for best for all involved. BTY i was here for the blizzard of 77 in buffalo and this thing coming scares me.

15. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

How we used to get it done out West was a shovel.
    And dang good money at it too for .05 cents a driveway....{enter spit toon sound here}

deiveway plough.JPG

16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

You...you're good. :D

Folks, this guy got what I was driving at.

17. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Leave it to basher to drive the point home, well done bash!!!

18. rob guarino

rob guarino Member
    from AZ

19. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

20. eatonpaving

eatonpaving PlowSite.com Addict

its not a winter storm.