1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

18W Led light bar

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by tasbm5, Dec 8, 2016.

1. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Hello All
    Just looking for some advice ,I have 2 18 Watt LED spot lights on my jeep for plowing at night that help greatly . I was thinking of adding a 18 Watt light bar. Do you think adding it will make it better or am I just wasting my money ?
    Thanks Terry

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Depends where you're going to use it, if it's not DOT compliant, you can't use it on the road. Also LEDs don't get as hot as halogen so you may have ice build up

3. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

No road use , just looking to use when I'm plowing driveways at night . My plow is a old fisher LD with the sealed beams that are not the greatest and this seems to be a cheaper solution than the intensifier upgrade.

4. ktfbgb

ktfbgb PlowSite.com Addict

They will probably help. Just wire them up to the plow with a two prong trailer harness if you remove the plow. If ya don't remove it just wire them up on a switch and turn on while you plow and turn off when transporting. I just added two 18watt led pods to my truck for extra reverse lighting. I read that they do give off enough heat to keep the lenses clear but don't have first hand experience yet. I am going to add a 22 inch light bar to my plow as well and wire it like above. If the snow doesn't stay melted off the lense I can always find another use for it. You may want to try the same. I'm trying out the 22 inch auxbeam with the 5d lenses. It's a combo spot in the middle with flood lenses on the end. Just a thought.

5. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Thanks , gonna add it to the plow with the trailer connector. I'm also going to add some
    lights for backing up also did you wire them in to your existing reverse lights or put them on a separate switch ?
    Thanks Terry

6. White_Gold11

White_Gold11 Member

We are testing a few led bars. Intense lighting, no ice up issues yet, and relatively inexpensive. Just wire in a toggle for running down the road.

7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

use a relay when you tie into any existing circuit, eliminates teh chance of overload, they dont use heavy gauge wire like the old days

8. ktfbgb

It just depends on your rig. Mine were 18w leds. Max draw is something like 1.6 amps or something little like that. So I spliced directly into my reverse lights. Mine are 18g awg wire so they can handle it. And I checked the bodybuilder guide for my truck and model year. Confirmed I was good to go with small led work lighting. Just had to add one to each backup circuit, not both lights to one. Anything bigger than the 18-20 watt catagory I would add a relay to be safe. Also check your state laws. I was fine here, but some states especially out east don't allow it so your going to want it switched so they just come on when clearing snow and not all the time.

9. ktfbgb

Terry this is always the safest route to go. If you aren't sure, and don't have a newer rig that has a bodybuilder guide or similar documents, then be safe and add the relay. They are really cheap, and not hard to wire in.

10. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

I'm going to buy the light switch harness with the relay in it and just turn them on when plowing.
    Thanks for all the great help guys .
    Terry

ktfbgb likes this.
  11. ktfbgb

Just a tip. Those harnesses that come with the lights are usually crappy. Just redo the connectors ext. with the heat shrink that is adhesive lined to keep the water and salt out.

12. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

My lightbar added to bizzard tower

IMG_0971.JPG

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

With lightbar on

IMG_0993.JPG

14. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

With plow lights

IMG_0994.JPG

leolkfrm and ktfbgb like this.
  15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Hmmm not going to use them on the road?

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I saw a jagoff running a jagoff-bar that went across his roof going down I-94 ..

17. ktfbgb

I hate that. It was probably on a super shiney, lifted truck, that has never been within 50 miles of a dirt road. Sound about right?

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A 90's chev gasser, a 3"lift, wider tires & right out of the trailer-park with a old beat up 80's camero on a trailer.

then he guns it when i go to pass him.:terribletowel:

ktfbgb likes this.
  19. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Cause you were riding my a$$ for 20 miles...

20. ktfbgb

Usually around here it's a late model lifted truck with bars all over the thing. We are a big university town. When school is in session there are around 30,000 of them, and growing every year. Mommy and daddy send them to college in the mountains so of course they have to buy them a new lifted truck to make it to class:hammerhead: