1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

18" Snow Tires??? No Such Thing!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MIAWPUKEK, Dec 20, 2004.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I recently purchased a new F-150 in July and found out shortly after that you CANNOT get snow tires for the 18" rims! :eek: Why on Earth would you sell a truck with rims you can't get tires for!?!? The dealership tells me that it will be atleast a year before they come out with winter tires to fit my truck.

Make sense to you??? :confused:
  2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

so buy some cheap rims that are not 18". i got nice dunlop tires on rims mounted and delivered for under 400 for my girlfirend's saturn.
  3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

18's are a joke.

do yourself a favor invest in 19.5 tires an rims . you can put three times as many miles on them an at 65 mph your using half as less rpm's, means less wear an tear on the motor .
  4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Running 19.5's on a 150...................It's not even a good idea on a 350. Yes it can be done, but just for the looks. Its sort of common with the horse haulin types. Sure you will lower the rpm but you will be lugging the engine, hardly a way to reduce wear and tear. It will accelerate the wear, not only on the engine but the entire drive train.
    For winter get a set of cheap steel wheels in a common size and put some snow tires on them, so you save the aluminum wheels for summer.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2004

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Purchase Winter Tires & Rims

I tried to get 16" rims for my truck because I had some 16" winter tires from my old truck, but I was told the 16" rims would not fit. So then I thought what if I bought some 17" rims and 17" tires. Probably good way to save my good rims, but hard on the wallet. So I"m going to try and make do with my 18" all-season tires for this winter and by 18" winter tires next year.

Wish me luck! *L*
  6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Recap a set of your old tires with winter tread.
    I know no one likes running caps but for winter tires that do not do a lot of highway speeds it should be ok at lleast it has been for me and my plows. Plus you can have them custom made. any tread you want. and anything in the tread.

I wounder if there is a caping plant in Columbia, SA.?
  7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Check this out, they started putting 17" rims on the 05 250 SD's and 18" on the 350, I have a 250 with 17" and BFG only offers the All Terrain TA in 285's and 315's. However the point to my statement is 17" is very limited :cry: and unfortunately my new truck came with a 265 radial street tire and BFG has a national back order going, I can't find any brand tire in 17" 295, this is the exact same problem I had with my three Expeditions, all had 17".

Somebody needs to start producing some good 17 and 18 inch tires cause more cars and trucks especially are going this route.
  8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Contact Cooper Tire

I've posted many times about tires lately because I just had to replace my junk 17" stock Michelin's. Cooper tire makes lots of large size tires in load range E and at good prices. I E-Mailed Corporate Cooper at 10:30pm Sunday and 9:am Monday I had a phone call from them! No baloney "national backorder" crap either. 3 Days later I had 10ply, load E, LT265/70R/17's Discover M+S mounted for $172 per tire.

Please go to Coopers web site, e-mail them if they have 18" snow tires, and wait for a response.
  9. proshare

proshare Member

OUCH...That hurts me ...just reading about you paying $688 + whatever fees & time, to have four new tires on a pickup.