1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

18 LED Tower Bulb replacement

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by iakentdoz, Dec 29, 2006.

1. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I just replaced the stock Sylvania 4157NAK turn/marker bulb that came with the new Nighthawk lights that I installed on my truck with 3157 18-LED Yellow Power Tower Bulb from TMI LED Technology

If your a amp counter or want to save amps them this bulb rocks. The Sylvania 4157NAK uses 2.23 amps and the 3157 18-LED Yellow Power Tower Bulb uses 0.04 amps!

Now for the pictures

1st pic is what the bulb looks like

2nd and 3rd pic bulb is plugged in but not in the light housing.

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

light5.jpg

2. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

1st picture is the sylvania 4157NAK

2nd picture is the 3157 18-LED Yellow Power Tower Bulb

light1.jpg

light6.jpg

3. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

just a few more pictures.

1st picture is a angle picture of the sylvania 4157NAK

2nd picture is a angle picture of the 3157 18-LED Yellow Power Tower Bulb

3rd picture, left light housing is the 3157 18-LED Yellow Power Tower Bulb and the right is the Sylvania 4157NAK

light8.jpg

light9.jpg

light7.jpg

4. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

And they keep getting better. Now is see they are selling a 20-LED Yellow Power Tower Bulb. Only difference is there are 5 LED's on the top instead of 3

I also have 2 TMI's 12 AMBER LED CHROME DOUBLE BUBBLE lights installed on the front grill and wired as marker/turn. This light has 3 wires, ground, and 2 power; one low power (marker) and the other hi power (turn)

light10.jpg

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Looks nice, how about a web address and price.

Thanks Mike

6. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

TMI LED Technology They sell for about $18.00 each

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Thank you

Regards Mike

8. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

what do you recommend for tail lights? mine have red lenses, should the leds be red or white?

9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

whats the connection end like do they plug right in or do they need an adapter

10. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

never mind, just read they said to use red or the color lense you have

11. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

I know you found you answer in reference to the lights, but federal law states that lights have to the red at the rear of the vehicle, meaning to the sides at the rear too. The color of the lenses don't matter.
    Amber or white light everywhere else on the vehicle.

Jason

12. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

i was asking what would be brighter

13. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I would use the red

14. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Well, Sir, you must mean what you meant to say! I find that reading the preview can help avoid this.
    It makes sense to use the colored leses that you have, and order white LED's that way you are not double filtering the light.
    If you have clear lenses order the appropriate color.

Jason

15. John911

John911 Member

These products should not be used

Use of these products will make your vehicle non-compliant with Federal Lighting Standards [FMVSS108]. A lawyer's dream.

16. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I think he was asking should he use clear or red bulbs with red lenses. I think red bulbs with red lenses are OK.

17. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

What? :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

"Standard No. 108 - Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment - Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses, Trailers, (except pole trailers and trailer converter dollies), and Motorcycles (Effective 1-1-68 for vehicles 2,032 mrn (80 or more inches) in width and Effective 1-1-69 for all other vehicles)
    This standard specifies requirements for original and replacement lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment. Its purpose is to reduce traffic crashes and deaths and injuries resulting from traffic crashes, by providing adequate illumination of the roadway, and by enhancing the conspicuity of motor vehicles on the public roads so that their presence is perceived and their signals understood, both in daylight and in darkness or other conditions of reduced visibility"

Sorry, but they meet the 108 standard along with all the other thousands of cars and trucks with LED lights. Why do you think they have the 108 ?

"Its purpose is to reduce traffic crashes and deaths and injuries resulting from traffic crashes, by providing adequate illumination of the roadway, and by enhancing the conspicuity of motor vehicles on the public roads so that their presence is perceived and their signals understood, both in daylight and in darkness or other conditions of reduced visibility"

LED's do this better that any normal lamp has ever done. No lawyer could ever prove that a LED lamp caused a crash.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  18. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

He would have to use Red, they don't make a clear LED lamp.

19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Actually, the WHITE LEDs use a blue filter in order to give the clear, crisp light. Used in conjunction with a Red housing, the light would be very dim. The red lens absorbs all colors of light and emits only RED light. Well, it only allows red light to pass through.

Use the Red bulbs, that is what I have.