1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

18 horse briggs

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rgrimes945, Dec 14, 2006.

1. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

ok guys,
    Need some help 18 horse briggs turns over 115 lbs compression ,no spark replaced the mag with newone and still no spark? cleaned the flywheel seems the magnets are strong. anyone else had this problem motor has been sitting for 3 years on a salt spreader but seems to be in good shape.Ideas anyone ??

Thanks Ray Grimes
  2. ohioplowboy

ohioplowboy Junior Member

try unhooking the kill wire from the magneto, if it gets spark then you have a problem with
    either the kill switch or a short in the kill wire, if still no spark make sure the top of the two posts that the magneto bolts to are clean so it gets a good ground.
  3. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

Kill Wire

the kill wire is not hooked up and the 2 screws holding the mag on have been files to get good contact (the mag is new)

thanks Ray Grimes
  4. suzuki4life

suzuki4life Junior Member

this may sound dumb but did you put new plugs in it? check the wires?
  5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Does the engine have a Low Engine Oil cut off switch?? Check that. Some are sensative enough that the oil has to be right to the tippy top of the full line. I have a leaf blower with a 16hp briggs that is like this.
  6. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

new plugs

yes it has new plugs, but there is no spark comming from the Mag I can hold the end of the plug wire and get nothing. (as for plug wires, they come new on the mag)
  7. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

yes it is full of oil but all of that has little to do with the fact I'm not getting anything from the mag I have the motor on the bench and the mag should put out power all by it self. there is no oil shutoff on this motor.
  8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I can fix it

Put it in the closest dumpster and go buy a Honda. xysport
  9. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

Low Budget

This is a low budget operation, I'm hoping for a couple of frozen events this year. I'm not in NY
  10. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

Still not running

Comeon guy I know someone has had to of had this kind of problem
  11. ohioplowboy

ohioplowboy Junior Member

it sounds like a bad magneto but since its new i guess its not, double check the gap between the magneto and flywheel, it should be ten thousandths
  12. Measure The Resistance In The Mag When It Is Bolted To The Block. There Is A Wire That Runs Between The Two Coils Under The Shroud . Sometimes It Will Rub On The Block Ans Short It Out Even After You Poll The Stop Wire. It Also Has A Diode In It . Ive Had That Happen In A Toro Sand Pro Intermittently Drove Me Nuck N Futz!! Let Me Know How You Are Making Out!!!
  13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Ok there are only two real things happing...

Amagnet is moving past a coil and the coil threw magnetic flux produces a voltage. Something is causing this not to happen..

You replaced the coil
    You assured good grounding
    You removed all kill wires

so whats left?

Is that the output of the magnet in the flywheel strong enough to create a magnetic flux?
    Is the output of new coil shorting out on anything? Is a brand new coil?
    Are you sure all kill wires are disconnected?
  14. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

ok is fixed and running

ok guys thanks for all the info.we had the mag on upside down and turned it over and had all kind of fire so needless to say it's running thanks for all the input. !!!

Ray Grimes