1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

18 horse Briggs

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rgrimes945, Dec 4, 2006.

1. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

I purchased a salter with 18 horse briggs in it and it's frozen( not started in 3 years) I put marvel oil in the cylinders but thats as far as I've gone so far. any suggestions ?
  2. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Will it turn over by hand? You should try to do a few revolutions by hand to make sure it will move. I am guessing it wasn't fogged before storage. Have you peeked in the cyl to see the wall condition?
  3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Is it literally seized up, or is it just not starting because it has been sitting? If the engine is revolving and is not seized up, try changing the oil and filter and the sparkplug, but the key is to spray lots of starter fluid into the plug outlet before replacing the plug.
  4. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

if it was locked up, use a ratchet or wrench on the crank and try to work it back and fourth. Keep doing that until it starts to move, then keep doing it until it breaks free. It migh ttake a while but thats how i have got alot of motors unstuck.