1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

18 acre site

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Ne1, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Looking for a little advice to see what you guys think. I'm bidding a 18 acre retail site that wants a seasonal price. We get around 30" of snow per season plus 5-7 salt only events. There is a 2" trigger.

I would be using a wheel loader with a 12' pusher and at least one if not two skid loaders with 10' pushers.

I have several smaller sites around this that I could also use the skid loaders on.

I came up with 29k for the season

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Does that price include salt?

What about walks?

Might want to replace the batteries in your calculator, I don't think its working properly.

3. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You do realize that there are guys here who are in areas that charge $30\hour and others who charge upwards of $200\hour for a truck?

Hopefully you can figure it out from there.

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The keys are knowing what your costs are and knowing what type of productivity you can get from each machine. It's all downhill from there.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

For me it is more important to know how many plows you are going to have instead of how much snow like 30". If there all 2" falls you are going to plow 15 times. If you get more like 4" or more a few times that # will decrease and so will your expenses.

I don't honestly know how much snow we get on average per year but I know we plow on average 18-20 times and that is more important to me.

6. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Sidewalks are done by management company and yes price does include salt. We average 8 plow events and 7 salt only events per season.

7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I don't think you have all the services you're actually gonna be required to perform figured into your number. If you do, man you guys work cheap.

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It must be a regional thing, that pricing here in the NE is silly low! 8 tons of salt per application x ? 10-15-20 applications per year! That would be the salting price alone around here. Fuel costs for equip alone got to be 500$ per storm. Good luck!

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I guess the first question should be is that including buildings?

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Your right! Sometimes some like to brag about the size of entire property and it ends up a fraction of the original figure. No offense op not directed to you ,just an obser:salute:vation

11. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to go back and refigure and look closer at my production rates.

12. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

The total site is 23 acres with 18 of that being concrete. I understand every part of the country has different pricing and what your able to charge for a service. Putting aside the seasonal cost where would you guys be at "per push" with a 2" trigger including salt?

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

In the ballpark of -+ $4k per event.

Factor in your effiency. They need to pay you for that b/c your worth it. Not everyone has equipment like you plan to use. The low ballers wouldn't and it would take them 3x longer to do the job. If not more. There's your sales pitch.

14. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

So assuming we average 7 plowable events per season that would be 28k. Plus I would need to factor the salt only events also. I'm using 15 years of past winter data to come up with total outings in a season broken down into plowable or salt only events. Would you guys up the total number of events to play it safe?

15. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

In a seasonal I always add some extra to help cover the heavy years.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Most people just cap it. Take your last 3 years average snowfall and base the average on that. If average is 30", allow 35" and anything more is per push.

17. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

Still don't get how guys get away with caping a seasonal...ain't that the whole reasons customers get seasonal accounts? To fix their cost.

18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Get away with? My seasonal accounts are the ones that make the cap, not me. Pretty industry standard around here.

19. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

Must just be a difference in market, around here seasonal is seasonal.

20. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Same here. At least for me.