1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

174,000 sq ft lot, what would you charge?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by doh, Nov 8, 2007.

1. doh

doh Senior Member

174,000 sq ft lot, what would you charge?

Opened up before 6:00 am

50,000 sq ft gravel

2" trigger

3 hr's by a truck @ 4" and under with 8' plow

No sanding/salting or removal

Lets say per event of 3" 's

2. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

You need to re-think your times a little. Gravel takes alot longer then asphalt

3. Snow_Pusher

Snow_Pusher Junior Member

I would figure 4 hours per tuck, if conditions were ideal. If I was estimating the job, short of seeing the actual layout/obsticles, I probably would say 5 hours for the first 2-4 inches.

4. doh

doh Senior Member

So what would the $$$$ value be.

It can be done in 3 hrs, I have been doing this lot for 10 years. I was just out bid, the same per hour price with bigger equipment.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't matter, a price in Jersey would probably be $1000 and Erie it would probably be $150. Pricing is too regional to matter.

You're plowing 174K ft in 3 hours with about a third as gravel? Wow, I'm impressed.

Why don't you give a percentage of what you were underbid by?

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

My calculator says...

SUMMARY
    Total Sq. Ft 174000
    Total Acres 3.99
    PLOW TIMES
    Truck With 8' Plow
    Depth.....Time To Plow
    2"-4" 5:20
    4"-6" 11:60
    6"-8" 13:19
    8"-12" 14:39

thats pavement, not gravel.

7. doh

doh Senior Member

Sorry I recalculated it at 140,000 sq/ft

Reguardless I was matched on a per hour bassis but they use a loader and 12' blade.

8. doh

doh Senior Member

My 3 hr's billable I figure they could do in 1.5-2hrs the other bid was way higher than mine (only 3 bidding)

9. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Im confused? doesnt a loader bill more per hour then a truck. I mean isnt that the point, they can do it faster so they charge more.

eg truck takes 3 hours at $75 an hour is $225 total

loader goes for $125 for 2 hours $250 total

I just used any numbers, dont quote me on these prices or anything.

I have won some contracts not because of the price but because of the fact that I can do it faster with more "machine power" sort of speak. Eg we are going to use a bobcat and a loader on this property plus a truck get it done in 1 hour where the other wants to just use his truck and take 4 hours.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No offense but if I was a property manager and I had a choice of a pickup or a loader to plow my place at the same price, I would pick the loader. No matter how much it snows the loader can handle the job. I'm not saying you didn't do a good job but there are times when pickups can't get the job done. This is all assuming that the loader is from a reputable company. I'm just trying to give you the other side of the story. It sucks you lost a good contract.

11. doh

doh Senior Member

Exactly my point, it should take him 1/2-2/3 the time. and more money invested in equipment.

My time was before business hours, it was next to impossible to plow it during business hours due to traffic.

I never had an event I couldn't move with the truck. Sometimes I did have to go over it twice to handle the heavier loads.

Oh well, move on and look for some new ones.