1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$170 for an 8' steel cutting edge.....WOW

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dfor, Jan 6, 2006.

1. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

I've got an 8' Diamond. We only have one dealer in RI, and he wants $170. How much do you pay for your steel edges? (3/8"x6") Anyone know of a place locally to get them for a little less. Or is $170 reasonable? There used to be a place in Taunton or Rehoboth, but I think they closed shop.
  2. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I paid 85.00 for my curtis 8 ft. at curtis factory outlet in Worcester.
  3. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Just paid $ 150 plus tax for an 8' blizzard edge and I worked a while in RI so I know everything was more expensive out there compared to here.
  4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Try G-Quip in Uxbridge, MA or JJ Gregory in E. Providence. They only sell 5/8'' not the 3/8'' their $ on the 8 footers are 5/8''x8''x8' = $107.00, 5/8''x6''x8' are $81.00. These are Fisher punch, but for that kind of $ it would be worth spending an hour to redrill your moldboard.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just last month I paid $117 for a 9' steel edge from the local dealer. Some guys tell me they are considered high, but I like the quality of service.
  6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Spent $75 for a steel edge for my 7'6" Fisher. That was from a Fisher dealer (Tuck's Trucks)!
  7. Big Dog D

When you post what you are paying it doesn't mean much with out the sizes pertaing to thickness and height. Allthree dimensions make it easier to compare apples to apples.
  8. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

hey big dog how do you like the f550? does it have unbelievable pushing power?
  9. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

130.00$$ for 1/2''T X 8'L X 7''W
  10. Big Dog D

It would push like a mule if it could get any traction. The tires that come on them(Generals) suck in the snow. We have started adding better tires to the fronts(trying Michelins on one truck and Coopers on another) and hope to see improvement. All of my bitches about the 4, F-550's I own are with the tires.
  11. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Mine are between 50-60. I have a relative make them for me. I just give him the measurements and he does his magic.

If anyone needs some, im sure I can get him to make a few for under $100 depending on how many he'd have to make. I would just need the measurements. It really benefit theguys in the east who pay $150+ or the guys around here even. They wanted something like $140 for a new edge from curtis.
  12. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I just got a quote yesterday for 9 1/2 for my fisher V and the price was 240! Gonna wait and wear the main blade down more first.
  13. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

If your good with a torch and a welder you can make you own, if not then try Angelos, CPW, or Landscaper Pro
  14. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

anybody know about boss
  15. Bevo916

Bevo916 Junior Member

I just purchased 20 foot of 3/4 x 6 for $126.00 I cut them in half punched my holes in them now I have two 10' edges for my plow.. $63.00 per cutting edge..:nod:
  16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Just make sure it's hardened. 3/4" or not, it'll wear like butter if it's just mild steel.
  17. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

I paid 90 bucks at CPW for my Meyer C-8 1/2'' x 6'' x 8' cutting edge.
  18. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

My dealer is asking $110 for a 7.5' steel edge and $230 for a poly. for a Fisher 760LD.
  19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How much freight?
  20. john-boy

john-boy Member

I take it ur using regular bolts or welding another piece onto the old cutting edge?? If welding, make note TLS's comment on using mild steel, as well as, when u weld those 2 pieces together you will be making the edge very brittle!!