1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

17 yr/250,000 mi warranty?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jomofo, May 2, 2008.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Was down at the Dodge dealer tonight to compare the 5.7 and the cummins - you know how that went. But I asked the sales guy about extended coverage for the cummins, knowing it was not covered by the lifetime warranty, he talked to the financial guy and came up with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty that could be extended for seven years up to 250,000 miles. Figuring I must have misunderstood I asked him specifically if that amounted to a 17 year/250,000 mile warranty and he said it did. The price he quoted me was $3500.

Any of you heard of anything like this? I looked on http://chryslerservicecontracts.com/ and don't see anything that vaguely resembles what this guy thought he was talking about.

btw - drove the cummins with the 6spd manual - sick, sick, sick truck. sick. wesport
  2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

That is a first for me. I have heard of a warrantee with that much mileage but not the years.
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I am thinking there wrong...maybe the 10 years with 250 k but 17 years makes no sense
  4. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

You'd be surprised, some of the dealers are getting desperate to sell vehicles, what they offered you may be right.
  5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

You gonna be buried in that truck??

How long do you really own one??
  6. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Screw the warranty... try and cut money off the price. 17yr is just stupid, especially for a cummins. Its just useless spending when you can save off the purchase price. And honestly, how long will you own the truck?
  7. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

im a service advisor for a 5 star chrysler dealer and as far as it goes, all chrysler service contract coverages will start at the expiration of origional warrenty ie if your powertrain stops at 3/36 your service contract will start in year for or at 36001 mile whiche ever comes first.

for the coverage as far as chrysler service contracts are concerned, max care is AMAZING it will cover everything, you get a rental, towing, coveres everything EXP wear items (ie tires, bulbs brake pad/rotors/shoes/drums wiper blades) that max care is def the best out there that i have delt with and i have delt with a ton! you def will pay for it BUT i have a guy in right now that is getting about 3500 worth of work done on this visit for just 100 bux (deductable) and as far as a deductable is concerned you can have 0 50 100 150 and i think possibly 200.
  8. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I pretty much plan to drive this truck into the ground, which is the only reason I'd consider a new truck - for the opportunity to get that sort of coverage. I have a good idea that I'm going to need it for the next 20 years or so. The same for my jeep. I'm not really a new car kind of guy... I'd rather not own one at all, but I need a couple. All I really want is a reliable vehicle that won't cost more to own than it's worth. It's great being able to essentially pre-pay a couple of thousand dollars to know that major system failure is only going to run me $50 when it happens.

Unfortunately, the engine and tranny that are covered by the lifetime warrenty are the same that go in the Jeep Commander. I drove a crew long bed with the Hemi and it was similar to driving a honda civic... I can't imagine that setup would last. What good is the coverage if I'm parking the thing at the dealer half the time? So, realizing that that the lifetime warranty isn't going to be a reality for this truck, I'm back to looking at used... Probably won't go over 15K for the truck.
  9. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

as far as the drivetrain for the engine/tranny working at a dealer 3 years and 45-70 cars a day we havent have more then 2 hemi's apart for repairs HONEST TO GOD and as far as thoes tranny's all ive seen is that goes on the trannies are the front pumps occasionally but mechanically they are good
  10. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

You really have to compare the total price of the truck versus the $3500 warranty. If the truck is $45,000 and a 17 year 250,000 mile warranty and its tranferrable or you know you will own the truck forever I say go for it... Get it in writing and see if it has an underwriter in case the warranty company goes out of business... 250,000 miles divided by 17 yearsis over 14,000 miles per year... Thats a deal in my book. My 4 year $100 deductable extended Dodge Warranty for my 02 Durango (that I bought in 04) was $2,000 for an 4 year 48,000 miles (after the original 36K). I put 2 transfer cases in her, a rear end and an intake manifold gasket... Well worth it... (Mind you that was an 02 Durango R/T AWD modded and I beat the hell out of it...)
  11. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

that could totally be the case... but how many are coming out of 3500 duallys pushing a plow with a sander in the back? I'd bet none, because no one in their right mind would get that little engine for that sort of work...

Seems to me the truck to get is the 6.7 with the 6spd manual. If it works out that I've got the money for this - won't know for another couple of days where this budget is going to cap out - I think I'd go that way. Although I was just on the site doing a bmo and it looks like the cummins can't be set up with the plow prep. I hope that doesn't mean that plowing with it would void the warrenty. I guess even with the live axel there might be reason to worry - that 6.7 is heavy as hell..

As I'm thinking about this it is leading up to a paradox; one that would seem to indicate that Dodge is not currently making a 3500 that is suitable as a long term durable plow truck. So you tell me - can you reasonably plow 300" of snow off mile of mountain road for 20 years with that hemi and the jeep tranny? - or does Dodge need to quit playing around and put a real front end on that Cummins?
  12. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Yeah, I'd have to say it seems like the money'll be in getting 17 or however many years worry free service out of the cummins and not to get involved in the lifetime deal for the hemi. Figure if I see year number 17 and have 250,001 on a truck that has had every repair performed at the dealer and is entirely up to date on parts replacements and service, I'll be way way ahead of the game... I don't drive hard, but I do drive a lot, I'm thinking with the 6sd manual, I'll be looking for 600,000 at least. Don't know if I'll get it, but that'd be the plan.