1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

17,000 square feet of sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Advantage, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I'm putting together a four location bid and one of the places has 17,000 square feet of sidewalk! From 3' to 6' wide all the way around. It's an apartment complex if you haven't guessed already. We do sidewalks but never this much at one place.

I want to bid per occurrence because I like to stay away from hourly and the contractor they had was hourly. I was going over production rates on some sidewalks we currently do and I'm getting about 3,500 square feet per man hour on a 2" snowfall to shovel and apply ice melt. Does that seem right? And does anyone else have any numbers similar for shoveling and/or snow blowing?

Obviously we would be using our JD 935's for when the snow gets deep. Also thinking about putting my ATV to work.

Any input/criticism is appreciated.

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

So, a 4' wide by 875' long walkway and one guy shovels 2" of snow off it and salts it? That seems to be a lot of work for 1 man Hr. Maybe I'm missing something.

3. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Yeah it doesn't seem right to me. Part of the problem is our record keeping. I have times and how many people on every site but what I'm missing is what equipment they used like whether it was all shovels or snow blowers or what.

4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Yeah, the more numbers I crunch and averages I do it's definitely closer to 1000 sq/ft per man hour.

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That sounds much better, I think you're close on that.

6. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

X2,
    3500 is a bit much, even with a snowblower i would guess.

7. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I've never seen more variability than in walks for apartments. We do one with 2.8 miles of mostly 5' walk and it can be anywhere from a few hours for 3-4 guys, to 12 hours for 14 guys.

I'd consider bidding it hourly for the first year until you get a better feel for it. You can burned real quick if you're covering lots of labor that wasn't part of the proposal.

8. me!

me! Member

i agree 100%

we have a office complex, im not even sure how many feet of sidewalk, but im guessing a couple miles. I have had 2 guys take 3 hours and 4 guys take 10. we have been doing this place 5 years and i still dont think i would bid per push on it.

9. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys. I will probably have to take your recommendation on going the hourly route. I have just become so frustrated with trying to educate potential clients on why we charge higher hourly rates than most in my area. We have a lot of experience and efficient equipment for any situation which has allowed us to pick up many accounts by offering flat rates because a lot of guys around here charge low hourly rates. I know we would get it done quicker and with better quality than their current contractor. But they see a rate 2x what they are used to and they just don't get it.

10. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

I have several commercial accounts that have 18500+ sq ft. 5'-6' wide walks and entry ways. I use arctic cat 700 ATV's with 48" 3 way plows. Yes they do windrow the snow on one side but at 900 lbs I've never had a problem up to 10" of snow. Its not for everyone it depends on the job but I have done well this way and bid mostly by push. There is a few other items I upgrade on the ATVs to beef them up also.

11. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

We run a asv 30 for walks and love the thing. We put a 4.5 foot blade with a nice 1.5 inch poly edge on it. We plow sidewalks at about 8mph if we know them well enough, otherwise we slow quite a bit. That little machine is awesome. If you have employees, they will destroy your quad. Just be careful.

12. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

Good point here!

13. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

If we get it, I have an ATV and 2 JD F935 tractors take care of these walks. What do you upgrade on your ATV?

14. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

Speed worx clutch kit; Fox shocks: Boon dockers programer: tires : Heated grips: Warn 3000 ci : etc