1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

16ft pusher on jd544g

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tru cut, Nov 20, 2002.

1. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

Looks like i'm going to get a sizable complex.I'm looking at buying a used 16ft protec and renting a jd544g loader.The question is that to big for the loader? Also what is a fair price for the pusher?

2. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

I would think that you will be ok with that loader, We ran a 12' loader model on a Case 580 when we had to and it did ok, I am sure that it was not supposed to be on the machine, but it did the job. I would think that the machine would have more than enough power. Even in really big storms that the machine might be under powered you would just have to take smaller bites of snow Just my two cents.

3. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

16' pusher JD 544

What does the 544 weigh?
    I run a homemade 11' pusher on a Cat 16000 pound loader,
    It is 4' tall with 40" long wings power is not a problem but traction is not the best I run tire chains most of the time with more than 6" snow.I am pushing 600 to 800 foot runs
    I think 16' would be a little big for the 544 in the heavy snows,a smaller blade would allow much faster cycle times and be easier to handle.
    The new Deeres are really quick a few extra rounds might be OK in the light snows.
    If you get the big blade let us know how it works out.
    Hyperpack

4. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

What width would be acceptable for a 16,000# machine?

From all the info I have read about pushers, weight seems to be the driving factor, then horsepower.

CGB

5. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

we run a 16' on a case w14 only problem is that we have to replace center pins every 2 years we found if we haul the loader from lot to lot its not nearly as hard on it asgoing down the street with 2000lbs plus out the front

6. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

7. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

No Problem

We have 7-544H's with 16' Protecs and no problem at all.They are 25,000lb. machines and I believe even 18' pushers would be ok

If you have any more questions please feel free to email or call.

Good Luck

8. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

16ft pusher 544 JD

The 544 weighs more than I thought at 25000# it seems each new model gains a little weight.
    There are no pushers in my area so I dont know volume of factory made units,The 11ft one I made looks taller than the photos of others I have seen so it may carry more snow than a 11ft factory one.
    My little 16000# Cat works well but if I made another it would be 10ft for this rig it would be better in crowded areas and better driving on the road.
    When pushing heavy snow taking only half a cut I can really feel the side draft I expect it would be more with a wider blade.
    It would be great to have a big one and a small one to fit the varying snow conditions.
    I have only used mine for only two years so I am not an expert.
    Hyperpack

9. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

hyperpack - How far can you push, say 4" of snow with the 11' and your machine. I am looking at renting a 85 New Holland, fear it might be to small for my needs at #16,000's.

CGB

10. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

My cat can usually handle up to 6" snow no problem and make the full 800ft run,When its really wet there gets to be a pile 15ft wide and probably 10ft thick.
    I found it works best to make a couple trails through the lot then take a new cut full width till the blade is full then run down the cleared trail,Then keep widening out the start of the cut sort of funneling into the cleared trail.
    I need to stack the snow so I also have to push the whole load up the pile,It really gets light on the back wheels but its kinda fun.
    Some of the less experienced operators had trouble with traction because they let the blade float,I set down so about half the blade weight is carried on the loader works well I run chains on the front wheels.
    This year I will put about 800# more rear counterweight to balance it out better.
    Hyperpack

11. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

16 foot on JD544 will work well with no problems, as several have noted above.

12. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks for all the replys. just waiting for the call on mon. The company has been fighting with the union for the last 3 weeks. they are doing it in house now.