1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

160 Thermostat

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PremierLand, Dec 10, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Have any of you guys changed you Thermostat to trick the engine into running cooler?

Im thinking about it, I did that on my dodge and it worked real good.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I wouldn't think that would help if you're overheating. It's going to overheat after the thermostat is open, regardless of the heat range. I put a higher heat range in the MIL's car to get MORE heat in the car, but I don't think it would work in reverse.

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Mark
    The only time my old chevy ever came close to running hot was going down the xway, it would get the trans temp up to around 200. The truck never ran over 210,so if the coolant temp is going over 210 keep a eye on it. Thats one good looking truck by the way,take care of it and it will make you alot of money.

Regards Mike

4. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Hey Mark,

We've done several in both car and truck LS1 small blocks and after installing them and using the vehicle to get it up to operating temperature we put the vehicle on the scan tool it never got below 180 degrees anyway!
    I'd save my money, we couldn't detect any advantage, performance or otherwise...
    Rob

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

It used to work well for power on the old cast iron intake TBI Chevies, but with all the advanced emissions of today, it's just not worth it.

Plus when I ran one in my TBI 454, it ran so cool, the lack of heat was very frustrating while plowing and trying to defrost. It made the truck think it was still cold, basically it ran it real rich. I ran the Hypertech Thermomaster chip on this. It really woke it up. K&N open element, Single 3" Flowmaster, no cat. Got up and ran if you needed it to.

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Hmmm, I've never seen an SBC TBI intake made of cast iron, only aluminum.

The 160* thermostat is more for use with reprogrammed computers due to raised compression, bigger camshafts, etc. It helps keep the engine cooler by opening sooner, which may be needed to help keep detonation away.

I don't think it would give any advantage on a stock-engined plow truck.

I only have a 2-core cheapie rad in my truck... the only time it ever started to raise the temps was pulling the trailer with tractor/spreader on board, most of a ton of salt in the bed, and the Boss V-plow on the front (total weight around 17k) thru 8" of snow. It had a workout that day, so it wasn't unexpected!! lol

I use the 195* 'stats in my trucks for faster warmups.

7. PremierLand

from detroit

thanks fellas, I will leave it stock then....

Thanks Mike, I had it close to 200 the other night, but when it hit 195, I stopped for about 10min and it was fine the rest of the night.

8. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Derek you reminded me - Mark, you will need a reprogrammer if you go 160 or it will not go off closed loop emissions. The vehicles we did all had reprogrammed 'puters!

9. PremierLand

from detroit

Right on. Now that you say that, I remember my dodge had an aftermarket puter also, so I guess that made it okay. I didnt like it though, It also didnt have a cat converter, the thing was a v6 dakota and was sopossed to be good on mileage, but with all the "suping" up we did to it, made the mileage suck. Ah well.

[​IMG]

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Were they only aluminum on the small blocks? I thought the 87's-90 were simply the cast iron q-jet intake with the donut heated adapter like I had on my 454.

11. derekbroerse

Nope. A TBI specific aluminum manifold... '87-95.

There was a cast iron carb manifold (with the modified bolt pattern to fit the TBI heads)offered for a few monthes in '87 during the transition, but I've only ever seen two in my life like that. I think they were Caprice motors from the taxi fleet we used to rebuild.

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Cool. Wonder why GM invested R&D into developing these for their small blocks, but did nothing till '91/2 for the rats? Makes you wonder how good mine "could have" ran if it had a alum. TBI specific intake. :rolleyes:

13. derekbroerse

What I wonder is why they bothered with TBI, and not design straight to Multi-Port? They were already doing it on the Buick 3.8 since the early 80's for example...

TBI was like a band-aid fix to the want for EFI. Still had to redesign the wiring and manifolds, so I'm not sure what the gain was. I guess it was cheap. And they do run pretty good.