1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

16 year old need help!!!!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by MakkTruck, Dec 21, 2014.

1. MakkTruck

MakkTruck Junior Member

I just turned 16 1/2 and Im looking to really do snow this season. I have lined up some residential accounts and am working on a commercial property. Last year my brother(14) and i bought a garden tractor with a plow and then after we made up that money bought an ATV with a plow. Since were buying a truck (f350 7.3) we are planning on selling the ATV and buying a Blizzard Snowplow. We mainly need a plow for speed and being able to back drag being able to plow before school/salt. . we also have saved up enough to buy one so we think it might be a good move. My question is how to properly charge for plowing by the square feet or what you usually charge for a residential drive way. An idea of a size drive we would do is we have measure its dimensions are 138 feet long by 9.5 feet wide. Im wondering what to charge for it if i do it by the square foot. thank you and happy holidays, Davis and Hunter.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Hi Davis - I always admire young people who want to work. It's a good trait to possess and it'll get you far in life. The other thing that'll get you far in life is doing things the right way. You wrote about your equipment and the accounts you've secured but tell me about the other side of your business. Do you have any sort of insurance in place that protects you, your mom/dad and your clients in case of an accident?

3. MakkTruck

MakkTruck Junior Member

As of right now no I do not have any insurance. My brother and i also have mowed grass for the past five years and have been thinking about getting insurance for plowing/mowing/ and are truck. I know am going to use usaa and ill be paying it so would it be a good idea to be insured for plowing?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You NEED to get insurance, and at your ages that's not gunna happen. Sorry to be the buzz kill but it's just a fact

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, it would be a great idea. I doubt that you'll be able to obtain a policy on your own since you're a minor but perhaps you could have your parents get something lined up and add you to it? I really don't know how that works. I plowed with my dad when I was your age so I know you can be covered somehow.

6. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare Member

Usaa doesn't offer any kind of commercial insurance

7. MakkTruck

MakkTruck Junior Member

Who has the best plan then for snow plowing. Is there anyway your can combine all seasons into one plan? Also is charging by the sqaute foot the best way to go with salting and plowing? Thanks Davis

Also what blizzard plow would anyone recommend?

8. MakkTruck

MakkTruck Junior Member

9. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

I'm 22, but I have to be an even bigger buzzkill. The insurance is going to cost about as much as your spending on that Ford. You just have to get your parents to go to an insurance company that uses several different carriers. I have no clue what they are going to charge you guys.

Michael

10. MakkTruck

MakkTruck Junior Member

so then just stick with the ATV or not plow at all? Since I can't get insurance do I really have to have or could I plow without it and just stick with residential until im insured

11. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Yes, definitely in my opinion. I just saw that you live in Kentucky which will make it even harder for you to get work, but maybe your in the mountains and get snow.

Michael

12. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

I stared plowing at 16 and didn't have commercial insurance but had a rider on for the plow, I tried to put my 16 year old on my policy and the insurance wouldn't let it happen. Welcome to plowing...

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to underage. Stay in school.

14. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I highly doubt you will be able to get insurance at 16. I started my company at 18 and could barley get insurance. No one else has mentioned this, but for this commercial account your working on, if they have half a brain they won't hire you. A 16 year old plowing with no Insurance is a lawsuit waiting to happen for them. Not to mention if they were to hire you and something happen there not coming after you, they will be going after your parents. Stick to shoveling and snowblowing driveways (which you really should have insurance for as well) Im not trying to be a buzzkill either but I had the same advice at 16, which is why I waited to start until I was 18.

15. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

You sound like a hard working young guy. Hard to find these days. :salute: I started plowing neighbors drive ways when I was 14 with a four wheeler now I'm in my 40's and still plowing. I love it every time it snows.

Don't let these guys piss on your dreams. If your dream is to start a business don't give up but remember the world today is sue happy. You don't want to loose that new truck cus of a lawsuit. Figure out a way to insure it. As said earlier maybe your parents could get a policy with you as a driver. Send me a pm if you want. I'll help you out

16. MakkTruck

MakkTruck Junior Member

thanks for all the responses and was wondering how to pm it says i do not have permission. Also am wondering about what to charge exactly. how to charge salting and plowing last year we just eyeballed it and did pretty ell but thinking there has got to be a better way.

17. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

you will be able to p.m after 25 or 30 posts not sure why this is

18. MakkTruck

MakkTruck Junior Member

alright thanks

19. PLandscaping

PLandscaping Junior Member

1) stick to your current set up. Snow PLOWING is where your insurance rates skyrocket. I do only blowers and I pay a fraction of what other guys in my area pay.

2) adding insurance to your plow is not insurance. You need contractor's general liability insurance.

3) do not do this commercial account. If they give it to you, they're nuts anyway. Doing your mowing customers driveways with an atv is easy, you need to keep that lot clear, and you can't do that sitting in math class. You can't get the insurance you definitely need.

4) unless you're doing huge lots salters are a waste of money and more of a hassle than they're worth. They will toast your rear end, you have to go outside to load them anyway, and they're expensive. Get yourself a nice earthway salt spreader and save yourself 800 bucks minimum.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  20. MakkTruck

MakkTruck Junior Member

how should i charge for the plowing and salting whats the typical rate and is doing it by the square foot a good way to go about it.