1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

16 in wheel cause tire rub?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mario, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Mario

Mario Junior Member

I spoke to a salesman at national tire and wheel and he told me that the 16 in wheel would cause the tires to rub on the leaf springs in the front? The salesman justified his statement by saying,"the wheel is bolted to the axle closer to the outside of the 16" wheel than it is on 15" wheel, therefore, it would rub due to the inset. Would this be true for my the 35"x12.5" tires with 16 in wheels? The salesman justified his statement by saying,"the wheel is bolted to the axle closer to the outside of the wheel than it is on 15" wheels, therefore, it would rub.
    Thanks again for your replies!:)

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

What kind of vehicle? Model? Axles? Suspension? You need to give more specs/ Most wheels can be ordered with different backspacing to prevent rubbing. Let me know more info and maybe we can help you out.

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I have read at the edmunds site of guys installing 285
    tires in place of the stock 245s. Rubbing complaints
    there. Front tires rubbing on inner fender liner.
    They either cranked up the torsion bars or put a
    hold down screw in the fender liner to hold it back.
    I am talking 16 inch tires with stock gm rims here.
    ...................Geo