1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

16 foot box

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by adimatte29, Nov 18, 2008.

1. adimatte29

adimatte29 Junior Member

So i have been plowing snow for the last five seasons and it has been in a one ton truck. I do road construction so i know how to use big equipment. So this year my company wants me to use a huge loader (sorry i dont know the size of the loader) with a 16 foot box in the front of it. I have never used a loader or even a box in front of it and im a little nervous. any one got any suggestions...

thanks again guy.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

watch out for the following: cars, trucks, people, buildings, well I think you get the idea, lol. Really it's not a big deal. A decent loader drives like a truck. Key thing is to keep aware of where you are, and where everyone, or everything else is around you. As well as keeping your windows clear. If you just go slwo the first few times, you'll get the hang of it, and will be able to speed up as you get more experienced

3. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

????????

You say you do road construction, and you know how to use big equipment, but youve never been in a loader????? What do you define: "huge equipment"
    16 feet is a wide swath. You need to be very careful. U should start using a loader with a bucket on it that is half the size as that pusher. Day one, in a "huge" loader, with a 16' pusher is asking for trouble. I would be nervous, as well.

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You should be fine. You will be able to damage curbs very easy....pick up your pusher before you hit the curb and stop before your tires hit the curb. After your done with everything remove the pusher and run parallel with the curbing with your bucket to clear the full length of the parking stalls. Don't push on the curb when doing this.....you'll blow the curb out.

Keep your pusher ski's EVEN on the ground.....don't ride on the heel or toe. The wear pattern of the pusher tells no lies. You can screw those up quick with too much down pressure and not being level.

You will have fun with it, and you will have the ability to make serious piles.

5. adimatte29

adimatte29 Junior Member

I use a loader almost everyday. I just have never used a loader in the snow or did snow removal with a loader.. thanks for all the replies.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

It's more fun pushing snow than dirt.

7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

:confused::dizzy:

8. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i believe loader pushing is harder to learn at first then a pick up with a plow, but once you getit down it becomes easier than anything else. just remember how heavy that machine is so if you hit anything you will cause severe damage, even to curbing. make sure the pucher is level too, if not you'll wear the rubber out unevenly as well as the shoes on the pusher. you'll be fine though, just go slow at first. ussmileyflag

9. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

something is confusing about this ........

10. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I know that a 972G Cat can spin some good cookies on a iced over parking lot. LOL

11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Hey Rob......................you're fired! :rolleyes: :p

12. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

and be careful on any truck ramps as they will crab walk [slide sideways] easy .

13. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I work for my self lol