1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

158 driveway HOA with a Ebling

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MnM, Sep 12, 2011.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

I currently use a 8ft protech pull back box on a bobcat. I works good but I am always wanting more HP and weight. I am always looking to speed up the operation. I have been wanting to try a back blade for a pick up forever. From the videos I have seen this could be the answers to my prayers. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT CURRENTLY OPERATE BACK P{LOWS, how long would you say it takes on average to clean a driveway say 20 x 30 ft. I know therte are many types of back plows but if I am going to get one I think a Ebling would be my choice from what I read. Sorry about the length of the post.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How close are the homes across the street from each other? Some guys have problems with a back blade because by the time they make it to the end of the driveway they are in the one across the street.
  3. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

thats the exact problem I see you having Matt. Youll be on the neighbors lawn by the time you drag out each driveway.... I think best bet... Spend the money and rent a BIG skid steer and use one of your others on another account or just run 3 skids.
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

The problem with the back blade is that once you pull the drive out, you waste time cleaning up the street with the front plow. Could your Bobcat follow the truck and clean up the pull outs? With that many drives close together, I think the Bobcat is better and more versatile as far as snow location goes.

I think you'll hear the words tractor and blower coming up soon.
  5. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

If you put a snow plow on you skid I think it will make your life easier.
  6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

20 x 30ft?

A minute maybe, with backing in and getting lined up. A larger Ebling that is.

You have to turn either way to catch the corners, so what these guys are saying might be an issue, it isn't as big as they're making it out to be.

I think this phrase might just be key: FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT CURRENTLY OPERATE BACK P{LOWS
  7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

You took the words right out of my mouth. That sounds like a great place for one dedicated tractor/blower. If you can make it work, your probally looking at 4 hours for one tractor, and less time after the operator gets good at it.
  8. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I have a 16ft Ebling, and I would guess you could be completely done w/ a 20x30 drive pretty quick. I always turn coming out of the driveway, and then push it up in to the grass or easement.
  9. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

A buddy of mine does a HOA with a back blade. I helped in out a few times and it works great. The driveways aren't exactly across from each other. He has no problem with running up in the lawn, as some people have said you may have to turn a little at the end of the drive. I don't see any problem with it, but I have never used one just observed it in action.
  10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

When you turn sharp you gotta watch you don't be peeling up the lawn on the one side as the back blade swings out... Reg cab short box half ton would be a slick rig for this job! Use the back blade to clear the street as well

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

The only thing that will drive you crazy is if someone parts across the street on the road.
    Its hard to wiggle in. Best would be to drop the front blade, pull all the drives then go hook up the front blade and tuck all the snow into the corners or drag it to the final pile zone. If you get alot of snow in your area it could be kind of a selling feature that you wont have giant piles at the end of everyones lane. Makes for less blind spots and its probably a lot less work to pull all the snow onto the private road ways and then to a pile zone then to tuck in 150 some lane ways.

An ebling will make fast work of that, but you might get a soar neck vs using the bobcat.

however with the purchase of an ebling you essentially free up the bobcat for another job which is a good trade off. I did this because my ebling could now sucessfully drag out loading docks at a site and I didnt have to move a bobcat there. Thats a big savings for me.
  12. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a lot of driveways! If i were you i would downsize the driveway biz. loose the aggravation and do and some small commercial. Since you already have a good size fleet.
  13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

If he sets it up right, he will be making far more money per hour than a few small commercials.

He has no travel time. It's almost like plowing small commercials because of the reduced travel.
  14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

have you thought about a blower for initial cleanup and scrape with a blade, easier to move snow once
  15. Neige

Neige Sponsor

If you dont want it, I will take it. Lets see 158 private homes, at my market pricing they would go for $310 each. Thats $48,980.00 for the season. I would then buy an ag tractor with an inverted blower. I know you can get a Kubota M100 for around 50 grand with 0% financing over 5 years. You would have to buy the blower so to keep it simple lets say 10 grand. So far your initial investment is 20 grand, a good driver will take 3 hours to do that run, but lets say 5 because he needs to learn this new system. You pay this driver 25/hr which you can increase when he decreases the amount of time it takes him. It will cost you around $10/hr on fuel. So every pass costs you $175 + your equipment. Now lets say two passes per event and you have 20 events = 40 passes lets add 10 for some bigger storms and we are at a total of 50 passes. That times $175 = $8750.00, now add your capital investment of tractor and blower and you are at $28,750.00. Leaving you with 20 grand after the first year. Now year two you already own the blower so that leaves you with 30 grand. After 5 years you now own that tractor outright, and you still have 10 more good years with that tractor. Ok yes you will have maintenance costs for the tractor, it will not be more than $1500 a year, and definately near to nothing in the first 5 years. You do need insurance, but slip fall is not an issue unless they want you to salt also. If that is the case your salting pricing should have the liability factored into it. So there you have it, the reason why I do resi. Oh by the way do these homes like you would any 50 grand commercial with care and timely service and you will see that there will not be many calls. You may just want to think twice about refusing resi, then again everyone thinks I am a crazy Canadian.
  16. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Actually Paul, I believe the latest term for one using common sense is being a nitwit. tymusic
  17. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Ok okay i see.... Not bad. I do drives still but in MY market we have guys going for 125 and lower while im charging almost 3 times that. So instead i have recently (past 3 years) purchased heavy equip. and have been lucky enough to move onto Big commercial such as Strip malls, Costcos and churches/ temples. Not to mention some good size HOA's. I have found that i can get more money doing commercial and less maintenance opposed to doing 200 drives. But thats just me. My guys like it also because they can stay at one site for hours instead of traveling and switching gears many many times...
  18. MnM

MnM Senior Member

First let me thank you all for the posts they were helpful
    Im not sure I explianed good enough. I do one current private 55 and older HOA. It has 1.7 miles of roadway which i use two cat here currently and do quite well with normal amounts of snow. 27 inches like last years dec 26 storm takes longer. So its not like I am dealing with 125 customers just one or two managers.
    This new place is the same thing a 55 and older with 1.8 miles of private roadway and 158 single family homes. So again I am not dealing with all those people rather one manager. I think a rear plow would def help but now I am leaning toward a AG tractor with a rear plow or possible a inverted blower. I also would have another cat there to clean up all the driveway pulls if neccassary.
    My question with the blower is
    1. does it scrape down to pavement or would i have to have guys clean the remains
    2. will it work good with a little bit of snow. like would it still scrape and blow as good with 4 inches of snow compaired to lets say ten.
    I was thinking used tractor and new blower.
    Please let many know any of your input.
    Thanks again
  19. MnM

MnM Senior Member

well after reading all the post i am wanting a tractor with inverted blower.These two HOA are across the street and have a combined of 275 driveways. Iwant to know what tractor and blower you all would suggest. I want about a 100 hp machine and a nice inverted blower. I also will be running three other skids to help. I have seen videos of the tractor/blower set up and in a 5 min clip the dude is doing 4 to 5 driveways. Is this possible could i do 15 drivways in 30 mins. Ilike new holland and case but would drive anything. Ithink i should email this guy with like 50 tractors and 30 blowers, looks like he knows what hes doing. Please keep the suggestions coming as I want to seal this deal this coming week.. Thanks
  20. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Hi MnM,

I'm a dealer for Normand snowblowers, and a sponsor on the site here. I can help you with exactly what your looking for in a snowblower setup. Send me an email or give me a call at 218-205-7198, even tonight still is fine, and we can get started on it right away.

Thanks, Steve