1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

150ft driveway

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bulhead19@aol.c, Nov 1, 2011.

1. bulhead19@aol.c

bulhead19@aol.c Junior Member

I have to place a bid on a 150ft gravel driveway. Has some curves to it with a slight incline otherwise pretty open. What would be a good number to bid this at? Thanks
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

five dollars! See I just spat out a bid w/o any PICTURES, or awareness of an INCLINE.
    I also don't know your AREA so I don't know how MUCH snow you get.
    Sorry to sound like an ass, but the words that are capitalized are what needs to be given to us.
    Also, don't charge what someone else would, figure out your expenses and charge accordingly.
  3. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I agree. I am charging $1.25 a foot for residential driveways, so in this case, I would charge $187.50 each time. That may be high for your area though, so.........
  4. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I won't touch any driveway thats gravel... Not worth it , to me at least. Who is responsible
    for cleaning up the gravel at the end of the season?
  5. BossPlow2010

The neighbor :rolleyes:
  6. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

The other guys are being too picky. You said it has some curves to it and a slight incline, pictures will just show the same thing you explained. I wont tell you what I would charge but in my area it would go for about 45-55 a push with a legit company. and then even after that some low baller will do it for a 12 pack with his 25 year old rusted truck and then never show up after he breaks down.

Superdog1, once again, this is one of those situations that 1.25 a foot would be extremely high you will get laughed at and not get a single driveway ever.
  7. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

You are right:cool: I need to change my rate for longer driveways or my truck is gonna' sit!Thumbs Up
  8. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

At least you learn easily! you're already better than a lot of people, you realize when something has to be changed Thumbs Up just trying to help
  9. Snoremoval

Snoremoval Junior Member

Charge as much as you can. But at least $45 per push up to 4 inches. If it snows 8", make two trips. If they wany you to come only once for 6" to 8" then charge $80.
  10. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

I agree with Jguck25. I bill 1 dollar a minute and in my area theres always someone lowballing.
    If u cant plow for $60.00 an hr. your being greedy and that is a standard equipment charge in my area.
  11. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Well I'm not sure it s greedy. I mean it cost around $15 in gas an hour alone. It's really not cost effective to drop that plow for less than $25 no matter what driveway. Wear and tear will break ya. Remember they(customers) have zero investment, won't do it themselves and have a job they get paid well for. This is your job and you/we deserve to be paid well too. As for the 150 ft. driveway. Im guessing around $45-50 per 3-4 inch push as well. Assuming it s as straight forward as you say. Good luck.
  12. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Seems like most of my drives are about $120 /hr . So for the 3minutes I'm there its $6.
    Some are $72/hr cause they take 5 min. These number are based on a contract price and the fact that I actually drove there 40 times last year , a lot of 2-4in events, late street plow recleans and checks.
  13. BossPlow2010

Most of mine are. Let's see
    190 an hour ish