1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500's for plowing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevy05, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Chevy05

Chevy05 Member

Can the Chevy 1500's be used for plowing? Will plowing VOID the warranty?? Hows the suspension... Z71? Ext cab vs. reg cab?

Thanks for any help, also anybody have any available pics for th newer 1500's and 2500? Thanks, Ryan

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, you can plow with a 1500 as long as it has 4X4. As far as the warranty goes, it depends on which truck you get. I believe GM does offer snow plow prep package on 1500s so if it has the factorty prep package, you have full warranty coverage. Even if it does not have plow prep, you need to talk to the dealer and possibly GM to see what the situation would be if you plowed with it. You get diffenent answers from different dealers some may never give you a problem about it. Even if they will not warranty a non plow prep vehicle, they have to prove that the problem is a direct result of plowing. If you don't back down, there is not much they can do. If you don't get plow prep, I would suggest that you get it in writing that your OK to plow, if the dealer says so then tries to change his story when a problem comes up. Iam sure someone else will chime in on this.

1500s carry plows ok when set up properly with a 7'6" plow. A few turns on the torsion bars would help and set of timbrens. The Z71 suspension will hold up fine, just don't carry the plow all winter, only have it on when absoultely necessary to reduce front end stress. Otherwise the truck will plow very well.

As far as pictures of Chevy 1500 and 2500's, do a search on this site, you will find tons of them. Also check out this thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=19309&highlight=bad+lucks+install+thread

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I could be wrong, but I believe the GM products are the only 1/2 tons you can get with the snow plow prep package??? Again I could be wrong... If this is true, then there should be no warranty issues at all....

I had a '00 1500 Sierra Reg cab long box with the z71 option... great truck nice ride, and thought it was pretty tough compared to other 1/2 tons I have seen out there...

4. Chevy05

Chevy05 Member

Thanks for the help guys.. :waving:

~~Ryan~~

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

One thing to remember though.... I would not be doing a lot of large commercial plowing with it... i.e. parking lots... they just are not heavy enough to take the beating that they will get... also one of the first things I would add is a tranny cooler(if it does not have one) and a transmission temperature guage...

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BRIAN................YUP..........GM offers (and finally the NBS 1/2 Fords too)
    a VYU factory snow plow prep. on reg. cab 1/2 ton models with full
    factory warranty for any plowing related breakage !

I had several GM 1/2s and plowed and towed with them all.
    And YOU know north of Syracuse in the Oswego area we get
    buried with snow aka "white gold" each year !

Get your bandwidth over to http://www.gmbuypower and check
    out the Syracuse NY area dealers for what they have in stock !

Look for a 05 Chevy or GMC 1/2 ton reg.cab, long or short box.

MUST have options are: VYU plow prep., trailer tow pkg. which
    includes HD suspension, and G-80 limited slip rear
    if your gonna plow or tow.............................geo

7. Chevy05

Chevy05 Member

8. sonjaab

Brian.........................19,xxx hmmmm
    base 1/2 ton reg cab, 5.3, auto, ac, plow prep, trailer tow, G-80
    Its got the WORK goodies but No power goodies or CD.............

Call Bresee and see if the GM supplier price is cheaper.
    I think they have the rebate wrong tho.......$5000
    I only see $3500 on the GM site.

CALL and ask.........................geo

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  9. sonjaab

Frozen.............New GM full sizers with trailer tow pkg. include
    extra tranny cooler, temp guage, tow/haul mode plus hd susp.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  10. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

sonjaab...

I know about the tranny cooler with the tow-package, but I thought the tranny temp guage only came on the HD models???