1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500HD Plow Choices?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 06 1500HD, Aug 15, 2007.

1. 06 1500HD

06 1500HD Junior Member

Hey new guy here. Great Site! I read many articles on here and need some clarification.

I have a 2006 Chevy 1500HD 6.0L and need some advise on which plow to get. There are so many mixed remarks on my truck but just need to settle this issue. Anybody out there have the same truck (PICS with PLOW ANYONE). I will be plowing driveways and small lots, not really too many either. Also, I will be by myself (not planning on bringing my family or 6 shovelers with me). Please don't respond with "get a 2500HD" because I already own it and just need a plow. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

At the top of the page are some links for various plow manufacturers. I like Fisher myself but to be fair its all I've owned and thats only 2 plows. Fisher is strong regionally though so you should be able to get good service for it if you need it, which I consider to be the most important item. They'll all push snow and they all make a plow that fits your truck...they each have some sort of feature or function that endears them to their owners but in the end the most important feature (to me) is the ability to get it fixed in a hurry when you break it...and sooner or later you will break it. Doesn't do you any good to save even $500 on the purchase of a plow if you break it and you're down waiting for help during a storm and all your customers get PO'd.

I recommend you visit the websites for all the major plow manufacturers and check first for local dealers...anyone who doesn't have a nearby dealer I wouldn't even consider buying a plow from.

Once you locate a few manufacturers, use their online configurator to determine the recommended plow size, then go talk to the dealers about it.

If the sticker shock for a new unit gives you a heart attack, consider looking up BDavis on this site (look over the most recent few pages in the For Sale forum) and there are a few other guys located in MA that also sell (or at least offer for sale) used plow equipment. I bought mine from BDavis last year and can vouch that he's a good guy that treated me fairly and sold me exactly what he advertised. I cannot speak for the other guys, but have seen their names here for some time and ahven't seen any major bashing threads.

Instalaltion is relatively easy...it took me about 4 man hours to do mine over the course of a few weekends, took my time and asked questions here when I got confused.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  3. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

I'd get a commercial grade Fisher. I know you only plan on doing a few jobs, but before you know it you'll have a bunch and be wishing you went with a commercial grade plow. A Curtis plow is a good option for you also as they are made in Worcester, and you can go to the factory if you have a problem. A friend of mine has a Curtis on an F250, and he's happy with it. Good luck!:salute:

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

7.5' Western MID Weight. Also put some timbern on it. This is an excellent set up. I have installed many of them on 1/2 trucks.

5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Welcome, glad to see another gm owner lol. Yeah i agree with everyone about Fishers and ive operated those on about 6 different trucks...yeah theyre strong and durable. But after switching to Boss there is a huge difference! The Boss is also very strong and very durable plus about twice as fast! They are known to have the most reliable and fastest hydros in the industry. Also hooking it up to the truck in my opinion is easier than every single plow ive ever used. Pull in, plug the wires in, flip the pins to "on" and press the button to lift the tower in place. Without exageration it takes me less than 20 seconds to hook up. Id say throw a 8' Boss Super Duty on it...and some timbrens.

6. 06 1500HD

06 1500HD Junior Member

Thanks Guys,
    How about an 8' Snoway? Any thoughts?

7. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

i have a 1500 crew cab and i run a 7'-6" western Pro Plow and can't be any happier. I installed timbrens in the front and cranked the torsion bars up and away i go. I'm glad i went bigger than the mid weight plow because i've taken on more accounts this year compared to last year. i started with just acouple of driveways and now i have 2 lots and 8 driveways. The Pro is only 150lbs heavier than the mid weight but the truck handles it like a champ.Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. i'll take pic soon and post them.