1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500HD Overheating?!?!?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by fitch, Jan 8, 2012.

1. fitch

fitch Junior Member

I want to start off by saying that this site is awesome, and there are alot of great guys who can share alot of there knowledge. I currently have a 2003 1500HD in which i originally used last year as my back up truck for my fleet of Chevy's and the one rookie Dodge, in which i set up to use my Boss 8'2" Vee from my Dodge 2500 if it ever went down. I recently had sold my 95 chevy when i came across the Dodge, and my employee was driving my 98 1 ton. Long story short, after 3 plows last season the Dodge wiped the trans with 22,000miles on it. So the HD went into action. Never had one single OVERHEATING issue what so ever. This year, i have decided to dump the 1st and last Dodge ill ever own... Only bought it from a church i landed as it was part of the deal for them to get rid of it and me to take over the plowing.

Anyhow, i have read all the posts and relpies ive seen on here. I decided to buy a new Western Ultramount 8ft Pro Plus. I have about a 15mile trip on the freeway to my begining of route. As soon as i get off the freeway, the truck will heat up and if i cant pull over in time.... it will overheat. I have driven with the blade basically scraping the ground and angled. I have yet to put the deflector on as i figured that would be the reason for the grill not to get any air flow. I have read about these clutch fans and i have even inquired the dealership about the overheating and have read there is an updated clutch fan that kicks in 30 degrees sooner than the original. Problem is i can never seem to get a good answer as to what the part number i should get is? and the dealership talks as if there is no such thing, and just want to hook it to the tech 2 and start the dollar clock.

I do have the leveling kit, as well as Timbrens in front and back. Truck sits actually about an inch higher than my bosses 2500HD. So help me get a fresh answer that i can persue with actual results! Thanks alot for any help, and lets have a safe and profitable season pushing the white dollars.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

There is an upgrated fan clutch/plow/hd whatever they call it ...if the dealer doesn't know of it, then I would check with a GOOD auto store.. napa carquest online.... I personally don't know the pt# but they should have like 2 or 3 listings for them. If you still can't find a good answer, pm me your vin and I can call my dealer for the info.....

3. fitch

fitch Junior Member

Thanks alot for the direction. I appreciate it.

4. dieselss

No prob......lemmie know if ya need a factory pt#. My dealer is really good at giving me great info.

5. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

hey fitch... I plowed with my 15hd for 5 yrs, had a 8.6 western on it and yes I too had it run hot often. I installed a server duty clutch fan, and a lower thermosat from are local CT store and things got much better but never perfect. Keep an eye on the coolent level often. mine was an 01 and must have been built monday morning after a long weekend cause there was always something with that thing. GLAD its gone!!!!!

6. fitch

fitch Junior Member

Replaced clutch fan with one i picked up from NAPA yesterday. Seems to have done the trick, as i could actually hear the clutch fan engage. Drove into town which was the same route i took in the morning and it got very hot, with the plow raised all the way up this time and straight..... not even a pinch past 210. Pretty much stayed normal level its at without the plow on. Lets hope it the end of it.

7. dieselss

cool,,,glad that did the trick for ya !!!