1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500hd for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by motorider000, Feb 26, 2005.

1. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

Hello, I am feeling that it is time to get a new truck. I always want to be under warranty so i think i am going to lease. I have 3 options:

dodge 2500 crew cab
    chevy 2500 hd
    chevy 1500 hd

My dad wants me to lease the dodge but i like GM i also think that the 1500hd is really cool and the payments would probably be lower. How do you think the 1500 hd would do as a plow truck. I will also occasionally be pulling a skid loader.
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Buy the 3/4 HD by Chevy. I work at GM and can get you supplier pricing on any new GM car or truck. If you are going to be pulling a trailer you will need the 3/4 HD, I pulled a 30 foot travel trailer around upper Michigan this summer and that 6.0 has plenty of power.
    If you want my discount I will need you to send me the following. Send to flykelley930@aol.com in the subject line put GM discount.
    Birthday of buyer
    last 4 number's of buyer's SS number
    email where Gm can send you a authorizing number

Let me know if you have any interest.

Good Luck Mike
  3. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

I have a '01 1500HD and pull a 18 foot trailer with a 4200 John Deere w/bucket and brush hog, not a problem!! I don't plow with it so I can't help you with that.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I like gmc 2500 hd i m pricing one out,they dont offer a snowplow prep group on a 1500hd
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Chris If you do buy one let me know ahead of time. I get two Suppiler discount's a month. I still have one left for Feb,the March 1st I will have two new one's. They are free and will save you some money.

Regard's Mike
  6. motorider000

I will proabably not actually buy until june or july. I will save your email I would really apreciate the discount.
  7. trinitygrove

trinitygrove Member

You can only get the 1500HD in crew cab, and apparently you should not plow with crew cab cause there is too much weight on the front, the vehicle does have a 8600 GVWR, which is not too bad. Just buy the 2500 HD, it's the way to go. I'm ordering mine in a few weeks, getting a sweet deal.
  8. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Well, as you can see I'm a Dodge guy. But even though I love mine, I'm not going to push Dodge on you because it's a 2000 and completely different from the new ones.

I was just surprised you mentioned a 1500HD, I didn't know Chevy offered a HD package on a 1/2 ton. Are you sure that's right? Not saying you're wrong, just curious. The reason is every time I see a Silverado 1500 with a plow it seems to really pull the front end down. I've also seen alot of guys on here saying they had to add timbrens, moreso it seems to Chevy 1500's than Ford or Dodge. Opinions?

You also said you'd like to be under warranty. This may seem like a dumb question to some of you guys but I've never had the dough to buy a brand new truck so again I'm curious. I always thought a plow voided your warranty coverage. Is it different if you order it new with plow prep and a new plow from the dealer? Do they then cover you for it?

You should choose the truck you like the best for several reasons besides just how it drives. Consider the look of the truck, the layout of the dash, gauges and controls, how comfortable and adjustable the driver's seat is (VERY important for plow operation!), what they give you for factory tires (something else alot of guys seem to overlook), and the warranty of course. Think of everything you didn't like about your old truck or wished you had in it, and compare that to the new ones. Doing that I think really helps you end up with something you'll love driving and will hopefully keep for a while so you can catch up on the depreciation a little.

Good luck.
  9. motorider000

Yes i was also surprised that they made the 1500 hd they actually look just like a 2500 hd they have the 8 lug wheels and everything. I am not real picky when it comes to options, all i want is an ext or crew cad and a cd player (and 4wd of course). The dealers tell me that if i order the truck with a plow package then the warranty will cover.

I figure that i will save money by buying a new truck because i spent over 4000 dollars keeping the sonoma highrider running this year (pulling bobcats all summer probably wasn't a good idea). And the beast has 142000 miles on it so i am wondering how long it will last.