1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500hd and 2500??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hdbagger23, Feb 14, 2010.

1. hdbagger23

hdbagger23 Junior Member
    from iowa

:confused:can some one tell me exactly what the difference between these two trucks are. from what i can find on line the 1500hd seems to get better mpg than the 2500 even when they both have 6 liter and 373 gears ?

2. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

The difference is weight the truck is capable of holding. A 1500 has a max payload of 1,600lbs+-, a 2500 has a max paylaod of 3,600lbs +-. the 2500 has axles capable of holding an extra 1,000lbs each. Tires have a higher rating. ect ect ect
    This is for the newer trucks, I'm not sure what the older 1500hd trucks were capable of.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

ok, as someone who has had an opportunity to compare the two side by side, they are the exact same trucks, same suspension, same gears, transmissions, engines, frames, etc. now you have to make sure that you aren't comparing a 1500hd and a 2500hd, because they are not the same, the 2500hd has a different frame (same as the 3500 and 3500hd). as of yet, nobody has been able to show me any different then this yet.

now you are going asking why, well the understanding i have is that it has to do with insurance / registration costs, when they did the 1500hd, it is a 3/4 ton that can be insured as a 1/2 ton, so all those people with big rvs didn't have to pay extra insurance costs for there toys (now this is just what i was told, i don't know what insurance/registration is like in the states to know if this is true)

4. buckwheat_la

i beg to differ, are you implying the axles are different? you are aware that if you climb under both vehicle that the axles are the same. stock tires may be different but you can change that with your first set of worn tires

5. hdbagger23

hdbagger23 Junior Member
    from iowa

ok i would believe that but whats with the 1500hd getting better mileage from what i can find on line 1500hd gets 4or5 mpg better don't think thats possible

6. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

You're probably right, I thought the 1500 front axles were rated at 3,800lbs and the 2500 axles were rated at 4,800lbs.

7. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

A 1500hd is a 2500. 8600 GVWR, 2500 frame, crew cab only, 6.0 only, semi floater rear axle.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  8. buckwheat_la

that i don't know, (and i would love to see where you are researching and getting your info) but as far as i know, and have talked with others, my gas mileage is no different then the 2500 series

9. buckwheat_la

and the sticker rating may be that, but the reasoning behind it (so i was told) was that was the maximum limits of a 1/2ton allowable, so instead of changing the axles, they just changed the maximum ratings (and please EVERYONE take this for what it is worth, i researched this a lot and now own 2 1500hd, but i am not a Chevrolet engineer so if someone has proof to the contrary, please say so)

10. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

It makes sense that they would do that, I don't know one way or the other.

11. buckwheat_la

what i can tell you is that my 1500hd with a cold air intake and a upgrade hitch, i pull 14000lbs with little to no problems

12. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

...so you pull 14k with a truck rated at 7900lbs (4x4) towing...?

13. buckwheat_la

yep, BUT, i did my research, we boxed the entire frame with with 1/4 plate, and upgraded the hitch with a 14000lb rated hitch, also upgraded tires to 265 Erated tire. i also consulted a local truck shop who i paid to research this for me, and let me know what i should upgrade, then i talked to a DOT officer friend of mine who let me know generally what i would have to explain to a DOT officer if i was ever pulled over, so far it has gotten me out of one ticket, showing the boxed frame, the hitch has a sticker on it, and the tires show on them their weight rating.

14. hdbagger23

hdbagger23 Junior Member
    from iowa

i just did a google search for 1500hd mpg and most of the people said thet were getting 14 city and 16 hwy give or take. what are you getting ? seems most 2500 4x4 get around 10 mpg

15. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

A 1500hd should get no different than a 2500, and most likely a 2500hd (however, does weigh more slightly). 1500hd and regular 2500 are essentially the same truck, except the 1500hd comes only in a crew cab.

16. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

As for the mileage, I am almost positive the 1500HD had 3.73's and the 2500 only had 4.10's. I'd be willing to put a beer on it.

17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

:dizzy: That's nuts. Why didn't you just trade that thing in on a bigger truck?

18. JDiepstra

Here you go fellas. I highlighted a few key parts.

Then there's the curious combination that is the Chevy Silverado 1500HD. It's a hybrid of sorts, starting with the 2500's chassis, which was retuned for the inevitable use half-ton trucks see: grocery shopping, hauling furniture, dragging the Jet Ski to the lake, all endeavors that don't call for the husky hauling capabilities of a full three-quarter ton pickup.

Chevy responded to the success of Ford's F 150 SuperCrew and Dodge's then-new Ram 1500 Quad Cab by creating the 1500HD, offered as a new submodel in 2001. It combines a four-door cab and a short box (6.5 feet)--at the time, the only Silverado 1500 available in that configuration--with rear or four-wheel drive. While the rest of the Silverado line could be ordered with a variety of engines and drivelines, the 1500HD came with the best of the bunch, the 6.0 liter Vortec V 8 driving the evergreen (and tough as nails) 4L80 E four-speed automatic transmission. This brute of an engine, boasting 300 horsepower and 360 pound-feet of torque, couldn't be ordered in any other half-ton.

While the 1500HD is smaller than the 2500 with its eight-foot bed, it still isn't a small truck. It rides on a 153-inch wheelbase, about 10 inches longer than the extended-cab 1500. To help offset the HD's extra length, GM offered its innovative Quadrasteer as an option; it would steer the rear wheels opposite the fronts to help reduce turning radius and make urban parking a lot less tiresome as well as provide stellar towing function by phasing the rear wheels at higher speed, thus eliminating "tail waggle." The option started at $4000, a price later reduced to less than $2000.

Of course, the big incentive for buying the 1500HD is the cabin, capable of hauling six people who can enter through four full-size doors. While the specs suggest the HD has only six inches more rear legroom than the extended-cab 1500, the large windows and big door make the second row seem much bigger than that.

The 1500HD remained essentially unchanged from 2001 to 2002, but the year after it received the same updates as the rest of the previous-generation Silverado line: more aggressive front end, updated trim, and minor changes inside the cabin. The 1500HD name didn't exist for 2004, when Chevy introduced the regular 1500 with a four-door cab, but the model returned for 2005. By that time, half-tons also were available with the larger engine.

Because it shares almost everything with the 2500 Silverado, the HD has basically the same service history, which is mixed. An online search of problem spots reveals little about the engine itself, a burly V-8 that runs on regular unleaded and is good for 13 mpg. There also have been relatively few issues with the automatic transmission. That there are fewer incidents of this truck hauling big trailers certainly helps.

Owners complain about spongy or ineffective brakes. There were two brake-related recalls, one in 2000 and another in 2006; be sure that any 1500HD under consideration has been properly serviced and plan to inspect the brakes regularly. There also are recalls on the steering hoses. Owners report the ride, despite the low-rate springs from the half-ton Silverado, as rough at times.

Nevertheless, the 1500HD has a devoted following for providing what may be the best compromise between size and civility. And, for a few months, they're still available as new trucks. If you act quickly, you may be able to find a 2007 Silverado 1500HD Classic, but expect to pay between $30,000 and $35,000.

2001-2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500hd
    Body type 4-door pickup
    Drivetrain Front engine, RWD/4WD
    Airbags Dual front
    Base engines 6.0L/300-hp OHV V-8
    Brakes, f/r Disc/disc, ABS
    Price range, wholesale/retail $10,046/$14,734 (2001 LS 2WD);(IntelliChoice) $20,482/$27,972 (2005 LT 4WD)
    Recalls Too many to list; see www.intellichoice.com
    NHTSA frontal impact rating, driver/pass Four stars/three stars

19. JDiepstra

Sounds to me like the 3/4 ton frame on a 1/2 ton suspension.

20. 06 1500HD

06 1500HD Junior Member

My 06 1500HD gets between 11 & 13 mpg.