1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500hd 8'hd too much?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bigbuddy, Jan 18, 2008.

1. bigbuddy

bigbuddy Junior Member
    from maine

I just joined this forum and have enjoyed reading all the posts from some very smart well informed people. I have been pushing snow since I was 15 with my Father always using fisher plows and GMC's. My question is how underrated is my 1500hd crew cab with an 8'hd on it. As of now I have 30 to 35 clients and have yet to adjust my tb's but I do intend to. I have slightly over 2"sag I'm the only driver of this truck and watch and know it well. I have a 3/4" 4x4 steel plate in the body for traction counter weight(ballast?). I think at 1 time I was told the difference in weight between a 7.6 and 8 was 90lb's. reg.duty.
    Just looking for some opions.

Thanks I hope to continue reading new and informative post here often.

Bigbuddy from Maine
  2. santelikk

santelikk Member

The 1500hd is the old 2500 type truck. It should have a gvw of 8600. You should have no problem running a 8' blade. I run a 8' blade on my crew cab diesel with no issues. Just give the torsion bar a couple cranks, and you should be good to go.
  3. bersh

bersh Senior Member

You should be fine. As the other poster mentioned, that is the same as the previous k2500. My buddy has a k2500 x-cab longbed with a 8'6" fisher v and has never had any issues.

I ran an 8' HD on my k1500 x-cab for a couple years, and other than adding a set of Timbrens and putting two turns on the torsions, I never had any issues. I don't plow commercially though.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  4. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

I agree also, as long as it is an HD it should be fine. Give the torsion bars a couple cranks and put some ballast in the back and you should be good to go. I don't know if I would drive around too much with all that weight on there.
  5. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

that truck is more than capable. a 1500 non hd can run the 8 footer. throw a set of timbrens on her and you're good to go. best 30 min add-on you can do. my truck drops a total of 1/2" up front when i pick up the plow, and i have 480lbs in the back between the wheels when i measured it. if i moved the weight all the way back, maybe 1/4" or less drop???? im sure with the longer wheelbase you have a little more drop but turn the t-bars and do the timbrens is my recommendation. after that get a bigger plow if you want.
  6. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Go for it dude! I had an old 7ft 6 er on a half ton wagoneer once! Plowed like a bear.
  7. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

what part of maine are you from? there are quite a few 1500HD's around here but none have plows. they seem to be driven more by the guys that wanted a "half-ton crew cab" before the regular half-ton crews came out. glad to hear somebody is using the HD part for something constructive.
  8. Indy

Indy Senior Member

jGo for it, don't forget the Timbrensxysport
  9. fauker_9

fauker_9 Junior Member

I'm running an 02 1500HD with an 8'6 EZ-V without any problems, my tb's have seen a few cranks and seem to be fine. Shouldn't have a problem with an 8.