1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Luke S., Jan 3, 2014.

1. Luke S.

Luke S. Junior Member
    from st.paul

I've always heard you don't wanna put a plow on a pick-up thats a 1500, that you need a bigger axle. Can you put a plow on a 1500?

How about a van?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes,plenty to choose from

3. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

You can put a plow on anything you want.
  4. Monorail_Red

Monorail_Red Junior Member
    from CT

I'm still considering a plow for my 1500, but I'm hesitant to do so because it's my daily driver. The trouble with newer 1500's as plow trucks is the front ends are optimized for fuel economy, not snow plowing. The 1500's have plenty of power but over-doing it with the front end worries me.

But I guess it depends what kind of plowing you're looking to do, perhaps if just a few residential driveways, then a 1500 will get the job done. For larger commercial jobs, then maybe a 1500 would not be suffice.

Just my .02
  5. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Exactly, don't go plowing big lots and go easy with hitting piles and curbs and it will last a long time. Don't hang anything too big off it either, keep it on the smaller size like 7'6. Heck I plow with a ranger, a 1500 should be good.

my .02
  6. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

Yo can run a plow on a 1500, We have a 98 z71 1500 Chevy. Does great, but the newer 1500's are generally weaker. Turn up your torsion bars and should be fine.

Van, No way. Too hard to repair, too hard to find a plow that fits, no or weak 4x4, bad idea all around

7. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

9. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

If a smart car can plow a 1500 can

Plow smart not stupid

10. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

If he can get a Ploy 7'6" he will be in there, that's what I'm looking for now for my Silverado Z71. Here is the issue when you look at the price tags they cost almost as much as a standard and some light heavy duty plows so what happens if someone is looking to upgrade a truck. Now you have a 3/4 truck with a little plow.

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Like everyone else mentioned, you don't wanna put anything too heavy on your truck.. something midweight is ideal. otherwise your looking for a lot more maintenance issues. Don't slam into piles and stuff you can avoid.

I have a 8'6" on my half ton but I do more maintenance than you could imagine.

12. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Company I sub for has an 8' boss straight blade on an 03 1500 reg cab short box. It's a mean little plower
  13. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

14. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I love the way my 94 dodge plows and handles snow, that being said like the poster above, maintenance is done beyond religiously. It's done by a calendar or miles, which ever comes first. I also plow with the storm with that truck.
    All that being said, the dodge has a solid axle in front so it's not going to get torn up as quick as IFS and it also sits higher so I'm not dragging the plow frame.
  15. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Yeah I watched that, a collection of non running cars parked in his yard by the tornado-bait house.
  16. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

I was about to mention this...I saw a video on youtube once of a smart car with a plow being used for sidewalks.
  17. ffmedjoe

ffmedjoe Junior Member
    from WI

18. chevy2003

chevy2003 Junior Member
    from indiana

Like others have said, it works fine as long as your not stupid with it! I have 2003 Silverado Z71 ext.cab, upgraded to a 200 amp alternator, belt, dual batteries, timbrens front&rear, ballast weight with a Western 7.5' Proplow and I do regular maintenance check monthly during winter. I don't plow like race car driver, slam into snow piles, and I take it easy. Plows are hard on any truck and like I read on another forum, its all in how you plow and maintain.

"just my .02"