1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 weight question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by QKSnowRemoval, Feb 2, 2009.

1. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

My question is, what plow would be better on the front end of my 1500 ram. A fisher 7'6" Hd weighing 630 pounds with mount, or 7'6" X blade at 742 pounds or the boss standard duty, at 597 pounds,plus mount. The only reason the fishers weight more is because of more ribs and thicker steel. But what would be better or dose it not matter. By the way im going to put Timbren on and maybe stiffer front springs.

2. QKSnowRemoval

No thoughts? come on guys

3. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

The lighter the blade the better off your truck will be. The heavier the blade the better it will scrape and back drag. Another thing to consider is parts, who is easier to deal with and closest to you.

My blade ways 800 pounds It's a lot of weight for my 3/4 ton. But you could do it with lots of ballast. It would be very hard on your truck. So mabe the middle one.

Oh and what color will mach your truck :)

4. QKSnowRemoval

hey i thank you for the help, and the advice, and i think i will go with the fisher hd, cuz it will look good with my black truck and the yellow snow ex spreader,lol

But more options would be good too, thankx

5. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Junior Member

Check the door sticker and run over a scale. The plow may put you over your max front axle load. Lighter is better and i have run the BOSS 7'6" standard for 7 years and never had a problem.

6. siewertenterpri

siewertenterpri Junior Member

I got a 95 1500 with a boss 7' 6" standard duty with pro wings and it handles awesome. I put timbrens front and rear on the truck and the front end don't come close to touching. Add a extra tranny cooler if your going to plow a lot.

7. QKSnowRemoval

So it looks like everyone i have talked is saying get the boss, it must be a great plow then, but would the fisher work too the HD, and how do u calculate the front axel with plow on it?

8. siewertenterpri

siewertenterpri Junior Member

We don't have a Fisher dealer around here so I never looked at one up close. With the boss it's easy on easy off and have never had any issues with it. I'm not sure what your asking about with calculating front axle ?

9. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Junior Member

weigh your frt axle without plow. Check door sticker for frt axle max (GAWF). If you have 800-900 lbs. difference you will be O.K. no question with the BOSS. The distance a plow sticks out from the front of the truck compounds the weight the plow adds to your front. You can ballast out the rear to relieve some weight on the frt axle. Ultimately it is your drivers license and money. If you are over load on your axles and you are in an accident, the fines could be huge and depending where you live you could end up in court for negligence.You will need the ballast anyway. Without my rear plow or ballast in the rear, my truck will just sit there and spin its tires in 2 wheel drive.

10. QKSnowRemoval

well they both are the same,lol front and rear 3850 pounds

11. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

Go BOSS. Owners manny says not to put a plow on a 1500 due to the airbags deploying. Ignore that, but with the thought in mind and the problems alot of the dodges have with the front end ball joints, things of that matter going wrong I'd say the lighter the weight the better. I run a 7ft 6 boss std duty, on an 02 ram 1500. So far so good. Why put more weight on a half ton? You're already gonna be pushing alot of snow why add more weight on top of that? Unless, like previously stated, if theres a closer dealership that deals more with those plows instead of boss, then I'd go with convience but still keep the weight issue in mind. Just a thought.

12. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

The lighter the plow the better. The fact a heavier plow back drags better and plows better is somewhat true, but not anymore with Sno-Ways Down Pressure. Blizzard owners have also modified their plows to also have Down Pressure, so both offer light plows and Down Pressure.

Down Pressure can add upto x4 the weight of the plow on the blade by using the hydraulic arm to apply additional force down on the blade. I suggest Boss's V-Plow as the lightest Vs I've seen, however, anythign else points you either towards a Sno-Way or Blizzard. The Boss Vs are much heavier though, so unless you need the V, I say avoid it.

I'm using the Sno-Way plow and I could guarantee my Dakota with the 7'6" I have could plow better then most other 1/2 ton trucks with a 7'6" due to my Down Pressure and because of the lighter weight... less wear and tear.