1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 upgrade springs & shocks

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by papa's plow, Nov 8, 2006.

1. papa's plow

papa's plow Junior Member

i have a 94 ram 1500 with 019 & 020 springs does anyone know what springs i should change to for a western 7.5 plow. can i put 2500 springs in it and what would be the numbers

2. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

I don't know the spring numbers, however some else might. I just went to the junk yard and found a 3/4 Cummins diesel and robbed the springs off of them. I have a 96 1500 and a western 7'6" and it drops about 1.5" when I raise it - much better than stock! Hope that helps.

3. papa's plow

are there any tags on the spring

4. papa's plow

is the front of the truck raised up higher and how much stiffer is the truck

5. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

i have a 99 ram extended cab and i did a shackle flip on mine in the rear and put in v-10 front coils from a junk yard and my ride is beautiful and the drop with the plow is minimal. hope that helps.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  7. papa's plow

would the 038 & 039 raise the truck and how will u think the ride will be

8. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

My truck was perfectly level with the 3/4 ton diesel springs on it. I noticed a little ride difference at first but nothing now - go used to it. The handling with the plow pays off for the ride though. It is definatley stiffer - but I like that in a truck anyway.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The ride is still good with the 38-39 combo. (stock combo on a 2500 with plow prep)
    They should raise the front about 2 inches, maybe a little more.

Your western 7.5 plow is not as heavy as a Boss V plow so you should be fine
    with the #38-#39 combo.

It will be a great improvement over your #19-#20 springs.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  10. papa's plow

do u think the #38 #39 combo would be the best for the 1500 or do u think i can go up to the #46 #47 . i use the truck for every day driving also or do u think its not needed

11. papa's plow

are the #46 47 for all diesal 3500 and 2500

12. papa's plow

can i even put a 039 and a 046 combo on the truck

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I have a 2500 gasser with the #46 & #47 combo and a Boss 8.2 V plow with Boss wings.
    It has a firm truck like ride.

And I have a 2500 gasser with the #39 & #38 combo (plow prep) and a 8ft Hiniker.
    It handles the weight of the plow just fine.

The #47 spring is about the same length as the #38.
    The lift and capacity comes from the stiffer spring rate .
    They all will slip right in.

I think you will be happy with the #38 & #39 combo .
    This combo will still have a very nice ride to them.

14. papa's plow

thanks for the info the 38 39 sounds good . i have a 7.6 western but i bolted 1/4 inch steel wings on each end that stick straight out so the plow acts like a scoop i probable add about 40 lbs each side total 80lbs more on the plow . do u think i can use a 39 46 combo because of the heavier weight and not go up to the 46 47 combo or just use the 38 39 combo

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The spring with the higher # goes on the drivers side.
    They should be one number apart if you used #39 & #46 it would not bounce evenly.....
    One side would be way to stiff and the other to soft.

There was a list of spring # and there rates. If it was not in one of those threads, do a search for them.

You could try a #39 & #40 if they make a #40... look for that list, or talk to the guy at the stealer parts counter...

16. papa's plow

thanks i have a print out from the dealer of the tag # and wieghts the 038 1537lbs , 039 1688lbs, 046 1854lbs, 047 2036lbs ther is no other # inbetween it seems like they drop about 150lbs or so every #. do u think it would be that far off or u just don't mix 38 39 with the 46 47 springs

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

They don't seam to mix them like that the rates are to far apart.

You will like the #38-#39 combo.

It will be a big improvement over what you have now.