1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 Truck 5.0L - Trany oil change Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Fooser, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Fooser

Fooser Junior Member

How do you get all of the oil out when changing. If you just drop the pan is there still old oil in other lines/areas. Thanks!

Myles

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Any good repair shop will have a unit that actually sucks all the fluid out.Other than that you can drain and fill and run it for a day and then repeat a few times.

3. snowflake

snowflake Member

what i do is
    find the feed line to the trans cooler disconnect trans line hook hose to it into a bucket start engine until trans quites pumping add 5 gts of fluid restart engine until is quits pumping rehook trans lines add more fluid and than check fluid level works slick for me. that way aint gotta pay the trans shop the high dollar for a trans flush.

4. Fooser

Fooser Junior Member

Thanks! I like that better than paying somebody.

5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

That method does work but pay attention and don't run your tranny dry:(

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'll second what Arc Burn said,as if you run it dry,you can damage the pump very quickly.

Check your toruque convertor,some of the newer ones have drain plugs to get most of it out.