1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 Tranny question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by bmh1202, Oct 28, 2003.

1. bmh1202

bmh1202 Junior Member

I have a '00 1500 V8 automatic that is giving me problems . When you step on the gas from a stop, or to accelerate, the transmission revs up to like 3200 RPM s before it shifts. Once it kicks in, the other shifts are smooth. I just had the fluids filled and changed a few weeks ago, and this just started a few days ago. Guys I've talked to keep saying look at the torque converter? I don't have a clue. Haven't been to the dealer yet. I don't want to hang a plow on this truck if it's going to be PITA. Thanks for any help.

2. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

I'v always heard that Dodge never quite built any of their automatics heavy enough. I bought a 2000 Ram 2500 but I also purchased a 3 year extended warranty with it, just in case the tranny decides to screw with me (hopefully it won't) Just something to think about........maybe you should check into warranties before fixing or trying to fix the tranny. If it's going to cost say $2000 to fix the tranny, or $1500 to buy a warranty with a $100 deductible, your best bet would be to go with the warranty...........Just some food for thought.:drinkup:

Chris
    Meadowbrook Landscaping

3. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

This may or may not apply in your case but my former '00 Ram had a bad converter and the motor ran around 800-1000 rpm higher before things started to really get moving. It failed the stall test. Was replaced under warranty at the time. Shifting was smooth as well once things got under way.