1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$1500/snowplow or blower?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jay albers, Sep 18, 2009.

1. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

another new guy. same story landscaper going to plowing in winter.
    ok, i got $1500 to work with.My truck is 1996 1500 silverado.Its not in the best shape.Do I put a plow on it, used of course and worry about it braking down or go get a good snowblower and start that way? And if so what is a good blower for that kind of money? any help would be great! thanxs!

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

What do you plan on plowing? Drives? I would get a blower since you said your truck is not in the best shape.

3. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

yeah, drive ways and side walks,there mostly double drives. One more quick question, how many acounts should i stick with if i go the blower way? I was thinkin 5-8. is that to many?or can i blast out more?

4. DJC

DJC Senior Member

If they are in the city you will be able to knock off a lot more then that. I know a guy here in town that would do 30+ city driveways in a day.

5. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

nice! im in the suburbs basically.I'm fosusing on a couple sub divisions in the area.

so what is a good blower for 1500? Theres a john deere dealer around my area and i like them, how bout a deere? or should i go another direction?

6. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Snow plow all the way.
    Way faster.
    How bad of condition can your truck be in?
    As long as the transmission is shifting correctly and all of your wheels are on...you should be fine. Make sure your battery is holding a nice charge.
    Find a used plow on Craigslist. They can be more expensive to take care of then a snowblower, but you will make more money and enjoy doing it more then snowblowjobing.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Deere makes a great blower.
    Try to keep your accounts close to each other and keep up with a big snow and you can do more then 10 a day.
    Keep in mind that alot of people will want the snow gone before they go to work in the morning.

8. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

thanks for the help guys. think im going with the blower.

9. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Go with the plow! It will save you a ton of time, and allow for more money per storm, which will help pay for repairs if you need them. Also, how are you going to move the blower if your truck breaks down?

Just don't use it like a bulldozer and wash it every once and a while underneath to get the salt off, and you will be fine.

10. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

i'v got a back up truck. it's not four wheel drive but it'll get me out of a pinch.Thats what im worried about, if the plow truck goes down im screwed.
    if i do go blower, should i blow, say 12" or more twice ? or say 18" or more? not sure

11. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

If the blower goes down you are screwed too. Risk of falling out of the back of the truck plus any mechanical problems-unless you have small trailer. Then do you want to pull a small trailer in the snow, and how will a rwd truck do with a trailer in the snow? Do the maintanence on the truck-oil changes etc, same with the plow. Find someone else in the area you could call in the event of an emergency-or worst case shovel for one storm if you are in the suburbs with small driveways. A longer driveay could take 30-45 minutes with a blower. Same driveway with a plow would be 5 minutes and move on to the next one. Get an emercency kit for the plow, and don't abuse the truck, you'll be fine.

12. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I'd say if you have the money to go with the blade. As many have said it's much faster, and the risks are about equal for truck maintenance and such. Although, plowing with RWD isn't exactly fun.

However, should you go with the blower, my advice would be to get a Toro. I've been running Toro blowers in my family for years and never had a single problem. Just make sure you maintain it properly and on time and it'll serve you well for years to come.

13. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

go with the blade. I'm in the same boat you are basically. 96 1500 z71. I have been clearing drives for about 3 years with a blower. its a little toro 2 cycle, doesn't even have the power wheels or w/e. It easily clears 8" of snow though. im gonna throw a blade on my truck as soon as get some money. but gonna have to really keep the truck in tip top shape bc its a 1/2 ton. with the money you got, find someone on craigslist with a plow for around your price range then talk them down a little. With the money you save doing that you will be able to have the blade and pick up a small snow blower. That way if the truck takes a crap you got the blower. besides, its a chevy so you shouldn't have a problem.

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've got a Meyer EZ mount complete for your truck for $1,500 if you're interested.

15. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Plow all the way, yes they and the truck can break down but as mentioned before so can the blower. If your operation is small enough you shouldnt have a problem subbing out the couple driveways if you absolutely need to.

16. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

ah! you guys got me so twisted! Maybe ill try to find a $1000 plow and a $500 blower that way ill be covered.H20 what do ya say? $1000 bucks maybe?

17. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I was reading through this and was just going to suggest this! If you can find a plow for cheap and have enough left over for a blower, go for it!payup This way you can clear drives and walks easily.

18. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

This thread lasted too long.

Go with the plow.

Find an ad on Craigslist like this and then talk them down another $75. Have the old man welder down the street help you throw it on your truck for another $100.
    http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/1375557515.html

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

How soon can you do it?

20. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member