1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 Salt Dogg HELP

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by plow4u, Jan 20, 2012.

1. plow4u

plow4u PlowSite.com Veteran

Not happy with my new Salt Dogg 1500 spread pattern,seems to be throwing all the salt out to the drivers side and not much to passenger side or center, Any idea's or is this common, my 075 seemed to spread more evenly ,could it be the baffles? Rear is set at 2/3 open front at little more than 1/3. Love the spreader just would like to even out the spread pattern somehow running ager on about 2-3 and spinner on 6-7. SMOREMAN where are you buddy?:yow!:
  2. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

had same problem with salt dogg 2000(heavy on the passenger side though). fabed 4 pieces of 3"x1" aluminum stock and bent a slight hook(about 22degrees) like a hockey stick on last inch and screwed them to the fins on spreader. I turned down the spreader speed to no more than 6. works pissa! Talked to salt dogg tech support, they thought that the sand/salt mix I use was heavier than the straight salt the unit was designed for was the reason for the uneven spread. Your problem seems to be the opposite. What material are you using? What direction does your spreader spin?
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

They all have an uneven spread,doesn't matter what the material is.I run Magic exclusively and the distance and pattern SUCKS.Can't say it loud enough.Mine spins towards the East---CHINA. You do have the right idea though with those extensions-I'm going to fab that up also.I'm sure it will kill that Chinese POS little spinner motor quicker but that's OK as I want to replace it with hopefully something much beefier and made here.
  4. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Bend the deflector ears out or in, with some testing you'll get it where you want it.
  5. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

like sitewrks said , it all depends on the material .

sand wet/dry
    sand salt wet/dry
    salt wet/dry
    cinder wet/dry
    cinder salt wet/dry
    calcium Flake
    calcium Pellet

there is 12 different mixes with 12 different throws or spins
  6. plow4u

plow4u PlowSite.com Veteran

running straight salt through spreader, and the fins on the spinner are rubber so no bending.
  7. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

Sorry I wasn't clear. I put a bend on the pieces of aluminum stock and screwed them to the rubber fins. the bent part sticks out an inch past the spinner which allows plenty of clearance from the rear guard. i'm a computer moron otherwise i would post a picture. hope this makes sense. in all it took less than 30 mins to fab and install. let me know if i can be any more help