1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 reg cab plow truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by R.J.B., Jan 23, 2015.

1. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

Does anyone have a reg cab 1500 sb that they plow with? Looking at possibly purchasing one for my residential and small commercial accts. Likes and dislikes please
  2. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

yes sir.. have an 04 Dodge 1500 short bed, small 4.7L v8- All I do is a few residential drives....

SnowdogMD75 on the front. The truck is great for driveways. I have areas where a long bed or extended cab would cause me issues. As it is, I still back up into snowbanks etc...

Other than shorter and a lack of storage inside it should be the same.

With a 1500 you want to select the right plow....use the manufacturers plow selectors... That's probably your bigger concern. That and tires. I'm running 17" wheels and currently have Coopers on them. The Coopers do not bite the hardpack or ice as well as the Michelins did. I'm going to sipe them next year and that should fix that.

I went with the snowdogg- stainless moldboard and it was lighter. I added back drag and it does fine. Had it on a Merc Mountaineer before the Dodge. If I had started out with the truck it would have been an MD80. And now I would really like to put on the Meyer V. They make one for 1500 series trucks just time and money away....

Shortbeds are fine...
  3. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

ran 98 Silverado with 7.6 Meyers with pro wings on it for 15 to 16 years before frame let go .I think it was from all the salting and plowing with skid of salt in it all the time .I did put keys in front end to get 2 inch left and rebuilt back leaf springs to handle the salt .it was a great plow truck .
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

You have to be more specific about the year of the truck.

Only poblem with 1/4 tons trucks is the tranny. Might be good, might be bad. It's the weak point.

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

6. JAJA

JAJA Member

03 chevy 1500 RCSB 5.3 with 7'6" super duty boss love it have but 1000lbs of bag salt in the bed do 8 to 18 driveways a mile long private road a commercial lot and a Panera lot...air bags on the rear timbrens on the front torsion bars turned up
  7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I had a 7.5' SD Fisher on my 2002 Chevy 1500 regular cab long box and it was a decent truck for driveways but, I doubt it would have held up doing commercial lots and mile long roads. The 487lb plow was all my truck wanted and I wouldn't have want to put a heavy duty plow on it. It sounds to me like a 3/4 ton would be a lot better for you.
  8. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

We are looking to purchase a new 2015 short bed work truck with the 5.3 and snow plow group. Boss has listed a 8 ft superduty and western has 8.5ft pro plow. They must have beefed up the front ends in these new trucks
  9. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

This is our 2010 Chevy Silverado z71 short bed with a fisher 7.6 hd plow.We use this truck for short driveways and around building that our 3/4 tons can't manuver as easly.Just a set of timbrens,cranked the torsion bars a few turns and the front end does not drop.Headlights on the plow are nice and bright and it's easy to mount on the truck
  10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That thing is just cool. Thumbs Up

I have had rclb 1/2 tons but have always wanted a rcsb. I think they would be sweet. I would have no worries about hanging a 8.5' off the front. Plan on parts wearing faster. When parts do go out replace with quality parts and you'd get years of use out of it. Timbrens and a few turn, a little weight in the back...it would be fine. A 1/2ton isn't a great work truck if you plan on towing though.
  11. welder101

welder101 Junior Member
    from IL

Here is a picture of mine, it has the long bed but I have an 8' Hiniker plow on it and have not had any problems.

12. 348

348 Junior Member

2012 silverado, 5.3. 6.5 bed. I have 7.5 western midweight. It plows great, first truck I have had with electronic locking diff. Only do driveways but like it more than my old Jeep. Has stock GY Wranglers, no issues at all

13. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Gonna point out some discrepancies just like I always do...that isnt a Fisher HD, and that truck does not have torsion bars. And its a 2012 or newer unless the front end was replaced.
  14. NBI Lawn

Well... it's a chevy for sure!
  15. NBI Lawn

348, how did you edit that? Thought you could only edit 5 minutes after the original post.
  16. chevyzrule810

Wrong truck got loaded.The one in the picture is a 2012 with a Fisher light duty and sand tubes in the bed for weight
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  17. chevyzrule810

This is the truck I ment to upload a 2004 Silverado 1500 short bed with a fisher mm2 and timbrenns and a few turns on the torsion bars
  18. chevyzrule810

Here are some of the other trucks that plow for us

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  19. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

That third picture was snagged out of a gentleman's YouTube video... He has had that truck since it was new and has less than 50k miles he said in the video.....
  20. Ramgto

Ramgto Junior Member