1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 ram set up

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ptllandscapeIL, Jan 23, 2004.

1. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

Hey everyone Ive got a 96 ram 1500 ext cab and i want to put a 7.5 ploy pro western on it and a spreader any set up ideas or nice pics with nice set ups?

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Why poly?

3. ptllandscapeIL

I was thinking poly to ease some weight,because no matter what i want a pro plow not a standard,do do you think my truck could handle a pro?

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Welcome to plowsite

Add a set of timbrens and make sure you have plenty of ballast in the bed.:nod: :waving:

5. Plow Meister

Poly plows weight more than steel. I have a 7 1/2' pro ultramount on a 2000 - 1500 Ram. It handles like a dream.

6. ptllandscapeIL

Meister,did you do anything to your 200 before you put the ultra on it? did they offer a plow package? and did they tell you that western doesn't want you to put a plow on there?

7. Plow Meister

Nope. It doesn't really matter there was no plow prep package. If you have a problem with the vehicle, the dealership has to prove the problem was due to the installation or operation of the plow in order to say they will not cover warranty work. I have family that works for a Dodge dealership. That is the bottom line.

As far as adding suspension stuff to accomodate the added weight, I haven't done anything yet but I should get some Timbrens under there. The plow doesn't sag too much. Maybe 2 or 3". Adding balast to the bed is a must. I usually put 1,000#'s of salt back there. That's about it.

As far as Western goes, their theory is "If it can push snow, we will put a plow on it!". It really is a great setup. I like it a lot. I would PREFER it to be a 3/4 ton, but we already had the truck and couldn't pass up the deal on the plow.

8. ptllandscapeIL

ok sounds good,that helps out alot i do know for a fact there was a plow on my truck before i got it so i know next season i will be putting a plow on it,and also a spreader what do u think as far As spreader? western 2000?

9. Plow Meister

I use the Western 2000. I think it is the greatest tailgate spreader out there. The motor is strong and I have no issues with the salt sticking to the inside. It stores easy too. I have the swing away mount and the variable speed controler. All work great.

10. ptllandscapeIL

miester, whats did you pay for the 2000? and are your ready for the white on the way?:waving:

11. Plow Meister

I don't own it. It belongs to my Brother-in-law. He bought it brand new. Don't know exactly what he paid. He was working at a Mopar dealer at the time. I know he got it real cheap considering he worked there and all. He plows for me as a sub.

12. ptllandscapeIL

thats cool, Ive been looking on ebay alot for some deals.I just got up from a nap cause it looks like i may be in alongggg night