1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 ram front springs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HYDROCLEAN, Sep 26, 2001.

HYDROCLEAN Junior Member

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500. The front coil springs are factory tag numbers 018 and 019. Has anyone ever replaced them with the 023 and 024 springs? And are these springs taller than the 018 and 019.

tag no. load rating (lbs)

018 1048
    019 1140

023 1621
    024 1770
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have 038,and 039's in my 2500,I was wondering the same thing,I'd like the 046,039 out of the chassis cab trucks with plow prep.What is the application of the stiffer springs?I know rancho makes a 2" leveling kit ofr the 2500,it is a spacer you put over your spring,to keep the smae ride,but rasie it,you might loo into that,its probably cheaper,and ride wont change.

HYDROCLEAN Junior Member

I plowed last year for the first time and have found since then the springs are weaker. It did bottom out once and a while with the plow on so I thought about the heaver springs before I plow again. I also will replace the shocks at the same time.
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

A few years back, we installed a Superlift 2" kit on my brother's 95 Ram 1500. It came with 2 new coil springs for up front, add a leaf for the rear, and 4 new shocks. The truck sits level, and is about the same height as a 2500. It handles the plow better, and I can't say I noticed any difference in the ride. It also handles the full pallet of salt in the back better too. Not that I recommend driving around with a full pallet of salt in the back of a 1500, but sometimes, it's the only way to get the pallet home from the supplier.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

daystar also makes a leveling kit..made out of polyurethane,same as john says ,they go on top of the coils. cost is around 198.00.
    if you are interested i can get you a phone #.
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

If it is made from urethane then it has to be good.
  7. johngus

johngus Senior Member

I have a 97 1500 and recently put in 024 and 025aa offroadster coils.It raised the truck about 1.5 inches in front and made the ride awesome,no more nose diving or wallowing on bumps.The best place to get them is enumclaw chrysler in wa.best price around,about 190 with shipping.They are supposed to be the highest rated coils for a 1500 and are rated higher than regular 2500;s.check out Fritz's ram page tech board suspension section for info as many are doing this with great results.feel free to e mail me with any questions.Johngus@Fritz'srampage.com.