1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 or 2500HD???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Boondox, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I currently drive a 1500 regular cab longbed 4x4 with 5.3L and auto tranny. I use it to haul hay for the sheep, composted sheep sh!t for the garden, loads of maple firewood for winter, and occasionally heavy loads (like a 400 gallon water tank last winter when our water line froze) for 15 miles or so. I clear snow with a 7.5 foot Curtis plow, but the plow is only mounted for as long as it takes me to clear my gravel driveway and about half a mile of dirt road. It has timbrens front and rear.

Am I pushing this half ton too hard? Should I trade up to a 3/4 ton while the truck still has some value...or should I just add a rear leaf and soldier on? There's plenty of power in that 5.3; it's the suspension I'm worried about.

TIA, Pete

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

everything you are doing is fine..except for 400 gallons of water. we stacked my buddies 150 with 43 haybales last summer and it didn't budge from the weight. 400 gallons of water though is roughly 2800 pounds right?...thats a lot of weight for a 1/2 ton.

3. bigHD

bigHD Junior Member

I think you should be okay. I basically have the same truck as you, and I've done the same things (except the water) as you have and I've had no problems.

4. Puller504

Puller504 Junior Member

weight of water,,,

A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds

5. Puller504

Puller504 Junior Member

so, 8.34x400 is

3,336 pounds or, 1.668 tons.

6. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Test drove a 2500HD and an F250 today

Both were extended cab long box no frills work trucks. Well, almost no frills. The Chevy had cruise control and better seats. The Ford had running boards that I kept forgetting about and missing entirely when I got out. The Chevy had the 6.0L; the Ford had the 5.4L. The Chevy was $28k. The Ford was $32k and I really couldn't see why it was that much more. Both drove well, but the Ford was a stiffer ride.

I liked the Chevy better, but would probably bump it up to the LT1 package to get the power windows and locks. Just to be sure I drove a 1500 extended cab and it felt tiny!

Pete

7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

With what your doing, you dont need a 3/4ton. If you dont need it, dont get it. Keep your 1/2 ton, brakes are ALOT cheaper, along with other stuff. Your current truck is FINE and IDEAL for what you use it for.

8. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

3000+ pounds of water or maple is a bit much for a half ton, don't you think? My leaf springs look VERY unhappy and the truck handles like a beached whale especially in the winter when the pavement is pretty much one constant frost heave. Loads of hay aren't heavy, just bulky, but rock maple is heavy wood. Looking over my diary for last year it looks like I'm doing 3-4 of those heavy loads each month. This is a very rural area. Mostly dirt roads and those that are paved are chewed up pretty badly. Hitting those bumps with a full load makes me and the truck both wince.

I see you're from metro Detroit...maybe you just can't relate to my way of life.

Pete

9. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Yes, you will be much better off in the long run with a 3/4 ton truck. Repair costs will be cheaper since parts will last much longer...

10. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

But you said you only carry 3000 lbs once a year. Why buy a brand new truck, that wont be used to its full capicity when your only needing it once a year.

Trust me I know about bumps in roads, come to detroit and you'll need a spare set of ball joints. lol

im just trying to help you, but what ever your decision is, good luck, I just think its stupid to go out and buy a halfton, when you said you only put 3k #'s in it a few times a year.

BTW: If you have your heart set on a 3/4ton truck, which it seems like you do, why even bother asking if you should get one?

Sorry just trying to help

11. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

If you're hauling firewood, you need AT LEAST a 3/4 ton truck. I do some firewood hauling with my GMC 2500HD and am really glad to have it. I don't think I'll ever have a 1/2 ton truck again after getting a 3/4 ton truck.

12. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Brakes ARE cheaper, but look at how long the brakes last on a 2500HD.

13. Willy-D8

Willy-D8 Member

I think the 1/2 ton is perfectly fine for your work. If you plan on hauling the 400 gallons of water more regularly BUY A TRAILER to put the tank on!

14. drplow

drplow Senior Member

2500 all the way. its a power house. its a stronger truck and you could drive down the street and not worry about hitting a pot hole with a full load and breaking something.

15. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

if your not sure about buying a k2500, i'd invest into a 3/4 ton pickbox trailer. i bought an old pu for $50 and fabricated it myself. $100 investment total. put a slow moving vehical sign on it and you will not need the lights, licence or insurance.