1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 or 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Clint S, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I am thinking about getting a new truck as they are offering some good deals right now. My dad has good luck with his 2500hd and EZV. I probably will not get a Vplow just a regular straight balde. So my question is, should I go with the 2500 or can I get away with a 1500 for 5 to 7 K less. Dads 2500 has had 0 issues due to the plow and the front end is still tight 5 years 60k later. I plow for myself and a little for my family. This truck will not be my daily driver as I have a car. Am I looking for problems plowing with a 1500??

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

1500 is too small unless you're just doing small drives and such. I'd just splurge for the 2500.

3. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Pretty much just my driveway and my sisters up the road. We get tons of snow due to lake effect. We usually have to pow at least 2 to 3 times a week, December to Mid march, some days 2 to 3 times a day

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've used a 1500, 2500HD and 3500 to plow. Have a '05 2500HD with an 8' Fisher straight blade now. My opinion - the 2500 is well worth it. Mine gets used for year-round work. It's built for the plow where the 1500 really wasn't.

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

If its not gona be ur everyday vehicle like u said its not. I would definitly go with the 2500.

6. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

So I went to the dealer today and they want 30k for a regular cab w/t with the only 2 options being snowplow prep and towing. They had 3 on the lot. My dad bought a new HD in 03 for 27K with an EZV installed. By time I get the plow I will be pushing 40K for a WT. It was their RED TAG SALE (about 1700 off from MSRP, but chevy offerer 1500 cash back) they did not seem to interested on lowering any more so I left. I am sure I will get a call in a few days. I will probably have to go used and find a decent unplowed truck and go from there.

7. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

Go used, you'll get a way better deal if you look hard enough. I picked up my 05 HD a year ago for 16K. Ext cab with brand new Meyer and 28K miles. Just had to put new tires on it.

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Were you looking for an 09 model?? They are dealing WAY more on the 08 models. Saw a 2500HD WT with plowprep here for 16K!!!

9. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking if I could get one for 16 to 19k I would probably do it. I would buy whatever I could get my hands on 08, 09 doesn't matter to me