1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 or 150 ok to push?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LandscapeEscape77, Apr 13, 2003.

1. LandscapeEscape77

LandscapeEscape77 COPPA Member

Guys,
    I will be buying my first truck next year. It will either be a for 150 or dodge 1500. It will have a v8 engine. I am wondering if this is okto put a plow on and give a good push. It will be a real plow not a sno way p.o.s. Let me know and pls dont say geta 250 cause thats not an option.

Thanks

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the site:waving: ,first off,this topic has been discussed in much detail,you will have to do a search for the specifics,but in short,yes,you can plow with a half ton as long as it's 4 wheel drive.Don't plan on taking on the world with it,but i have 2 half tons and a 3/4 ton and the smaller trucks can most certainly hold there own.Second off,i would be carefull about writing off the Snoway plows,several guys here use them,they are not the flimsy POS of yesteryear.Find yourself a brand with parts and service available locally,todays commercial plows are for the most part stone cold reliable,ask local contractors in your area what they use and why,conditions vary from coast to coast and some brands work better than others in different situations.

Search the site,you will find answers to these questions and many more.Good luck;)

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Either one should be fine. I'm assuming you meant a Ford 150. As long as it's a 4X4. Some use a 2wd, but not the best situation. Put a 7.5 ft on either one; almost any brand will be ok.

4. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Yes you can you plow with a 1500 but you will be limited to a 7.5' blade. Will that truck plow as good as a 3/4 or 1 ton? Probably not. Will you end up spending more for repairs in the long run? Yes.

I know for a fact Dodge does not offer a plow prep on their 1/2 tons and I'm pretty sure Ford doesn't either. There is a reason for that and if you hang a plow on either one of these trucks you can kiss any warranty work that can be blamed on plowing goodbye.

Do a search and you will find alot of disscussion on this topic.

5. Mick

from Maine

Nozzleman, you are very correct in your two main points about the 3/4 ton and voiding any warranty if a plow prep package is not offered. Two things told me neither of these would be a consideration for him. First, he gave the stipulation that a 3/4 ton is not an option. Second, he is 15 years old so I figured he would be getting the truck when he gets a license and probably would be getting something a little out of warranty.

LandscapeEscape77, like Arc Burn said, I wouldn't write off the Sno Way or any other brand as a first plow. I know at least one guy on here who uses Sno Way and is very happy with it. He's got just a couple of years plowing and mechanical experience behind him. It's not likely you'll be getting into commercial plowing for a couple of years. By then, you can move up for both the truck and the plow.

6. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

LandscapeEscape77, I did not know that you are only 15 when I replied earlier. If your looking at used trucks say '96 and earlier for the Ford and 2001 and earlier for the Dodge then I would go Dodge. Ford had a TTB (twin traction beam) front end in those models and personally I think the solid axle Dana 44 in the Dodge is better for a plow. There are a few guys locally I know who have 7.5 Fishers on 1500 Dodges with no problems.

However, if you will be looking to buy a brand new Ford or Dodge then my previous reply is all I have to say.

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I have a 1500 Chevy and I have not had to make any abnormal repairs due to using the truck for snowplowing. The truck holds up great I think, just as good as any other truck. Nothing ever broke on the truck that you could blame on snowplowing. Nothing ever broke period, stuff has worn out over the years such as the Idler Arm and Pitman Arm, but everything else is original on the frontend including tie rods and ball joints. I guess cause I grease the whole frontend every oil change, the stuff has lasted for quite a long time. The Ford TTB frontend is lousy, stay away from it if you can. The Chevy independant front suspension is a better setup, and so is Dodge. Dont let anyone tell you that you cannot plow with a 1500 cause I have been and so many others have also. Just make sure you get 4wd or dont bother at all. Im not saying you can go plow streets with a 1500, but as far as driveways and small lots, no problem, cause that is what mine gets used for. Let us know what you decide. Mike :waving:

8. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

It's not often that I get into pontificating, but this is one time I'm going to indulge myself.

YOU, young man, have a long way to go before you are in ANY position to label any brand of equipment as inadequate!

I like to see young people show an interest in this line of work, but there is one thing you need to learn. Until you have some measure of experience under your belt you are in NO position to offer any valid opinions about anything involved in snow removal.

At 15 I THOUGHT I knew quite a bit too. At 53 I now KNOW just how much I have to learn.

And, for your information, I have four of those pieces of stuff you know so much about. They deal with a whole mess more snow than you will see down there. And they do it with no more downtime than any other brand

There, I'll get off my high horse now.

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen this train of thought before and I still can't see the validity in it. I'll go along with the 7.5' blade, IF you are going with one of the heavy designs. But just what criteria do you use to determine that a 1/2 ton truck will not plow "as good" as a 3/4 or heavier. And please explain why you will spend more in repairs.

10. Mick

from Maine

Thanks for joining in, Alan. For those who might not know, Alan is who I was referring to as using a SnoWay and having a couple years experience. Actually, I was being facetious. He has much more than a couple of years.

11. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I wonder why anyone would have more repairs on a half ton myself... My first plow rig was a 1972 blazer with a 7 1/2 ft Fisher heavy duty plow on it... that truck was actually called 1/4 ton truck... I bought it used and don't know how hard the first owner plowed with it, but I did have to have the transmission rebuilt shortly after I got it... but after that i never had any trouble with it at all... just the normal wear items... brakes, batteries, starters, alternators... nothing major... it was still running strong when I sold it in 86 but the body was real rough... sometimes I wish I still had it...

12. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Ah yes,I've been waiting for Alan myself,i wanted to give a better write up of my 1/2 ton opinions but due to recent legeslation i've been asked to tone it down abit:D so i'll hand this one off to Alan!

13. johngus

johngus Senior Member

why is a 3/4 ton out of the question?If I were in your shoes I'd buy a used 3/4 ton with a plow already installed.If you look you'll find something in "good" condition.if your buying new I think Ford F150 is available with plow prep.they call it 7700 GVW package.I think a "bigger" truck will suit you better in the long run as you can always add more to it{maybe a V box} down the road.with the 1/2 ton,you're alreay maxed out with just the plow.

14. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Let me start by saying I am by no means an expert about trucks, plows, snowplowing in general, women, or anything else for that matter. I only posted my opinion because thats what the lad was looking for.

Also, I don't want to start a 1/2 vs. 3/4 ton war. As I recall I told the young man that you could in fact plow with one of these trucks and I only explained to him what I thought were drawbacks to a brand new off the lot 1/2 ton truck for snowplowing. As far as my saying a 1/2 ton will not "plow as good," that was a poor choice of words since I have no proof to back it up. In the future I will refrain from making any other unsubstantiated comments.

Furthermore, my first post was based on LandscapeEscape77 buying a brand new truck and I'll stick to my guns regarding repairs costing more. I won't dispute anyone who says they have a 1/2 ton that has held up just fine while plowing. However, I find it hard to believe that a brand new 1/2 ton Dodge or Ford with their IFS and more complex front end design will have the longterm durability that their solid axle big brothers will.

As far as my plow length limitation of 7.5' that was based on using a steel blade plow such as a Fisher or Diamond.

Finally, as I said. I am not an expert and I only gave my honest opinion. Does it mean I am right, no. Does it mean someone else is right, again no.

15. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I don't see why IFS should be any problem either... I can't speak for Ford or Dodge but I had an 89 Chevy 2500 that never had any front end trouble... When it was new the ball joints did go bad but that's b/c there was a problem with them and chevy replaced them for free and gave me 100.000 mile warranty on the replacements... since then I haven't had anything other that a couple of idler arms go on it... nothing out of normal and nothing I would attribute to plowing... my dad has had half tons with IFS and has had no front end troubles either.. Although he doesn't plow with them either... I suspect if he did plow with them they wouldn't be any more trouble than any other truck.. His 98 had the snow plow prep package and so does his new 2003... so obviously chevy expects you to be able to plow with them... All that said I still prefer my 02 2500HD with the Fisher V-Plow over a half ton pickup... but i still miss the blazer too... boy did that get in some tight places...

16. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Wolfie, My IFS remarks were in regards to a 1/2 ton front end. I am sure the IFS in a 2500HD Chevy/GMC was designed with plowing in mind and is more than capable.

However, I am still going to stand by what I said and that is the overall likelihood of problems is greater as a system becomes more complex.

This does not mean failure is imminent in a IFS truck it just means that in my eyes the odds are not as good as a straight axle truck.

17. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Wolfie, I apologize. I just reread your post and it appears your dad has a 1500 GM with a plow prep. Thats cool of GM to offer that option on a half ton because Ford and Dodge do not.

18. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I wasn't trying to start any arguments... just stating my experience. I'm sure there are many people that have had IFS problems, but I haven't. I think it all comes down to how you use your truck. I think you'd find that most people that have the problem trucks either abused them or had a lemon. By and large no matter what make of truck you have if you treat it right it will treat you right. So far my 02 Chevy has 21,000 trouble free miles... whether it will last as long as my 89 remains to be seen.. but I suspect that it will.

19. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

WOLFIE........21k miles on that truck ? Holy cow !
    My 01 just turned 17k............Hope ya got a lot of
    snow to play with this year...I got almost 160 inches
    .....Figures cuz last year was a BUST!.................geo

20. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I say a 1/2 ton will not plow as good as a 3/4. But this depends on the type of plowing you do. Decide what type of plowing you will do and buy the right truck and plow. Go with a trip edge design, my opinion they work better and scrape better, I know one guy with a snow way and it didn't hold up well but thats only one so who knows.
    Is a 1/2 ton going to plow a driveway as well as a 3/4 ton, yes. Is it going to plow large lots as well, no. Is it going to plow roads like a 3/4 ton, no. Will it last as long using the same size plow, no.
    Most 3/4 tons come with much heavier duty parts so they should last longer and you will spend less in repairs

Alan, Age has nothing to do with knowledge. It just shows you have been around longer, much longer.:D