1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 Mega Cab for plowing

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 92f350, Apr 12, 2008.

1. 92f350

92f350 Junior Member

I am concidering a 2007 dodge 1500 Mega Cab for a plow truck. Is the front end heavy enough for a plow? Isn't the 1500 mega cab built with 3/4 ton running gear?

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Unless you're getting a deal the 2500's similarly equipped run only a little more than the 1500's.

What plow were you planning on running? We've got a 2500 QC at the college with an 810 and I'm going to be honest I wouldn't run it if it was my own truck.

3. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

It will hold a plow fine.. And yes the mega-cab is built on a 2500 chassis. I just would not put as huge plow on it though. The only bad thing is gonna be your turning radius, the mega cabs are as long as limos! Put a set of timberens on the front, and you should be good to go!

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I word,, NO.
    Does it have Dana 60 axles?
    What transfer case does it have?
    So what is a 2500 quad cab built on a 3500?
    Then what is the 4 door 3500 built on?

Their not even close to being a 2500 don't kid your self.
    The 1500 is meant for the wife to drive to the grocery store ant to haul the kids around.
    Personally, I got my wife a 2500 too;)

5. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

The 1500 mega cab IS build on a 2500/3500 frame and shares the same front and rear axle as the 2500 if you look 1500 mega cabs are on 8 lug wheels.

I dont believe there is a difference between a 2500 frame and a 3500 frame, the differences come in the spring ratings and the registered numbers. Not all 1500s are built on 2500/3500 frames, just he mega cab version becuase of the extra weight of the longer cab and stuff.

As for a plow on one, sure it will be a long beast to plow in, but it will be able to handle a good sized plow if you want one.

6. Kingwinter

Kingwinter Senior Member

ive seen people plowing with a mega cab..... but their turning radius has to suck.

7. 92f350

92f350 Junior Member

Oh well i got it bought now so I guess I am putting a plow on it this winter. I am going from a ford ranger as my everyday driver to this Mega cab. Gona take a little while to get used to parking it though. But I do have all summer to get used to it.

8. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

I have an 06 Mega Cab 2500 with the cummins and a Boss 9'2" poly v plow and it plowed awesome. I installed a Hell Bent Steel leveling kit and used about 1000lbs ballast and wow did it handle the weight just fine! No squatting, although I might add Timbrens this next year just to go a little easier on the front springs. The 1500 looks to be built very similarly. Solid axle, looks like the same or similar frame, but the front springs looked a little thinner. I would definitely consider Timbrens for your truck or beefier springs, but as far as the drivetrain, I would not hessitate to plow with that truck if that is what I had as my options. The length is significant, but the turning radius is just fine, and with the seats down and the tailgate off the visibility was just fine. I installed a pair of million candle power off road lights on a switch to see better while backing. Overall the truck was fantastic and more than capable of plowing, yours should be too. Don't let the ney sayers dictate what you can do. With my truck as "long as a limo" I could still plow circles around lots of guys with shorter trucks. Happy plowing this next year!

9. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

:confused:no it don't have dana 60 axles :confused:
    anything after 02 would have the Chry axles or AAM axles

1500 quad cab is built on the 2500 frame..... yep it is but DO NOT think that is a 2500. they will have the AAM front axle and chry rear axle. springs are 1500HD front and rear.
    transmsission and transfer case are the same 6 speed auto chain drive as is in everything else.

here is why I would not put a plow on the front of 1500 quad cab
    A you will be over FGW with the plow on it
    B You will be over GVW with the plow on it
    C plowing will tear up front suspention
    D weaker rear end will not with stand the added stress
    ** there is only like 300 lbs between the FGW and weight of the front end. there is only 600 lbs between the GVW and true weight of truck with 2-240 lbs people.... so no real ballest can be run.

10. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Sorry Rodhall but you kinda dont know what your talkin about. Yes the regular cab and quad cab 1500 series trucks have IFS and 3900lb FAWR....BUT the Megacab 1500 has a solid front axle with 5200lb FAWR = the same as 2500/3500 trucks. As for the rear axles, yes most 1500's have 3900lb rated rear axles...BUT the 1500 Megacab has a 6010lb rated rear axle = same as 2500 trucks. Still dont believe me?

dodge_edited (Small).jpg

11. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

Exactly! The Mega Cab is a 2500 is every way! Even if the badge states 1500, as long as it is a Mega Cab it is a 2500!

Zack

12. mmcolorado

mmcolorado Junior Member

Mega Cab problems

Have you had any problems with your Mega Cab. I've read on the site about guys popping back windows out while plowing. Also read about "Chassis Arching" causing door fit problems. I've got a 2008 3500 Heavy Duty Mega Cab and I'm thinking about going with a 8.5' Meyer Plow (maybe some wings) with the E-Z Mount Express. I'm in Colorado, will be doing some driveways and about 7.5 miles of our Sub Division Road (all Gravel).

13. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

No problems all winter, or summer really for that matter. Almost 30k and it pulls trailer and plowed for probably 24k of that. The only issue that just started happening is the 1-2-1-2-1-2 shuttle between gears under real light throttle. I plan to take it in soon for that, there is a service bulletin for it. Otherwise no problems, don't think I even had a bulb burn out on it yet? Plow with that sucker! You will love it! Only thing that you might not like if yours has the Cummins is the DPF plugging up when plowing, that is about the only thing I keep hearing. Good luck.
    Dan

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'd be concerned with warranty claims if Dodge doesn't recommend it as a plow truck. I'd just go with an actual 2500 and be done with it.

15. mmcolorado

mmcolorado Junior Member

Nls1

Dan
    Is your's a diesel? I've got the Cummins with the 6 speed auto. I'm not to worried about the DPF lots of open road out here. It's 12 miles just to get to town on a 2 lane at 65 mph. The whole county only has about 3000 if everybody is hear. Thanks for the input I was starting to get a little concerned that I bought the wrong truck if I wanted to hang a plow.
    Pete
    Do you know if the 2500 and 3500 Mega Cab sit on the same chassis?

16. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

I was told from the Dodge dealer I bought my Ram 2500, that if the truck doesn't have the "Plow Package" then putting a plow on the truck would void warrenties.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  17. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

2500MC & 3500MC sit on the same chassis, only difference is the rear axle has and upper helper springs. I went with a 3500 for the extra $357 option I thought it was worth it.

I can tell you that Dodge is not to keen about putting plows on Mega Cabs, they claim that a plow will exceed the axle ratings ( especially with a CTD) when vehicle has more than one occupant . I believe they are capable it's just they don't want the liability.

I purchased my MC to tow with, and considered putting a 8.5' Diamond MDII on it. After looking at my shinny new $50K pick-up I opted to by a sweet low mileage Dakota with a 7' Western plow, I figure the $3500 I have in the Dakota will be a life extender for the MC.

18. mmcolorado

mmcolorado Junior Member

Snow Plow Prep

I thought they had the same chassis just sprung different in the back. I bought mine for towing too, but it's also my work truck, so I figured I'd put a plow on it if the carpentry gets slow. I need it just for my driveway 300 feet and a turn around down the barn big enough to do a u-turn with a Mega Cab and 30 foot trailer.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on putting a plow on even talked to Dodge's Tech people. Dodge rates the truck for 2 people, maximum options, and a plow ( snow plow doesn't include attaching hardware) so the Front GAWR and brake performance is the big deal. I figure I'm going to put a set of Timbrens up front to help with the weight and put ballast in the bed.

All the Snow Plow Package is - 160 Amp alternator, 750 AMP hour Batt, Anti Spin rear axle, Skid plate for the transfer case, reflective side decals, cab running lights, and the SLT get vinyl floor covering.

So it's not like they're beefing up the front end. So it's all about the Front GAWR which is 5200 lbs on all the 4 x 4 trucks. The different models have different front base weight so they different margins for the weight you can hang on the front.

19. mmcolorado

mmcolorado Junior Member

Snow plow package

Almost forgot........245/70/17 tires - this allows you to chain up the front

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The plow prep also consists of stiffer front springs, some wiring and a few other odds and ends.
    None of mine have any reflective side decals. That's only on the "Snow Chef"

I have a,98, 01, and we just bought a new 08,2500, Quad cab, long box with the CTD all with the "Heavy Duty Snow Plow group" for $114a good deal for $114.

I have a hard time believing frame arching is affecting the cab as it is mounted on rubber isolator. as for the rear window, what was in the box.
    The frame would have bent at the front crumple zone long before the frame flexed enough to bend the cab..
    jmo;)

You can chain up any size tire.....