1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 dodge

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by EricD701, Nov 11, 2008.

1. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

My friend has a 2004 1500 dodge and the Boss site tells him 7.6 std duty.

He likes my 7.6 V and was woundering if his truck would hold it.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Legally? No..not even close.

Physically? With a sizable amount of ballast and $1000 worth of suspension upgrades it will. For a while.....

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

if he put it in the rear bed:jester:

4. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

What is the 1500, a regular cab or quad cab? If its a regular cab short bed it is more feasible than if its quad cab. The reserve capacity on the front axle for a regular cab is around 1000 lbs...whereas a quad cab is about 700lbs, that is without a driver or passenger. Like B&B said, it is possible if he spends alittle money to help the front end out a little bit, and carries enough ballast in the bed. The truck will be over the GVWR, but i know if you were to weigh up many other peoples trucks with the plows and ballast they would be over-weight for sure.

Even if his truck is a quad cab, he could mount the plow, it would just be that much more over-weight. Its not like he would be plowing with the whole family with him though.

5. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

Thanks for the help I will let him know.

6. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

I have a 7'6 V on my half ton Dodge. get 2500 springs from a junk yard and/or level kit spacers off ebay. i have had no problems with anything. I ran the stockers for a while not to bad but would sack out on big bumps. I wouldn't hesitate.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yours is a '98, he's asking about an '04. Two completely different animals. ;)

Can you hang a vee on a '98 1500? Yep sure can.
    Can you hang it on an '03-up IFS 1500? Nope.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

X2 :nod:

Anything bigger than a 8' straight will rip that truck apart. A friend of mine just put a 7.5' Western Midweight on his '05 1500 QC and without any suspension mods the truck is fine but I wouldnt go much heavier or too much bigger than that. Weighs like 560lbs

If you want to take Get Plowed's advise I have some springs for you :D. May take A LOT of work though;)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  10. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

:eek: Yup sorry guys. Spaced it on the IFS. :sleeping: Good Torsions and better CV's or 2500

Feel Like an @$$.

11. NBI Lawn

Curious how better CV's are going to help the suspension. Also, is it common practice to replace the torsion bars?

How about a turn on the torsion key and a set of Timbens :nod:

12. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

They wont help suspension but with the load of the plow. I know of 2 chevys that broke a CV last winter. You can buy torsions with different load ratings. More progressive tension.
    Stock ride with no load.

I just dont really care for Timbren's. But thats me.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

But we're dissussing a 04 1500 Dodge not Chevy. Hard to replace coils with a torsion bar.

14. NBI Lawn

Umm what did I miss? Coils on a '04 Ram 1/2 ton

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:confused: An '04 1500 Dodge is torsion bar, not coil.

16. NBI Lawn

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It wasn't a question on my end. I used the proper punctuation in order to clarify that fact. :salute:

18. NBI Lawn

This comment through me off :eek: