1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1500 chevrolet guys

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Squires, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Im looking into a blade for my truck, but being a little late in the season slection is getting low, I wanted a 26 series snoway but there all out here in NL. Looking for pics of 1500 New body style trucks with blades and what type would be recommended. The snoway dealer said i could get a 29, but that doesn't show up with the quick match. There also a arctic dealer and have the 7.5 ft steel and poly blades for $5600 and $5200 installed plus tax each. Also went to the hiniker dealer and they onlt have the 8ft steel left in stock.

what are your opinions and pics of your setups too,

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I know others might think differently but I wouldnt go bigger than 7.5 feet on a 1500 series Chev
  3. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday Member

Yep just put together a 05 silverado with a 7.5 HD fisher...I love that truck..... plow new 4100. truck 7000. so 11000 k and it will be sold in the summer for 10k 1500s are easy fixers and most guys wont buy them. Everbody has to have a 2500HD with a 8footer
  4. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I would only go up to 7.5 for any 1/2 ton any larger you will have problems or have too do modifications to your truck. I have a 3/4 ton with a fisher 7 1/2 and it doesn't bounce all over when I hit bumps in the road. The half ton the truck will sometimes bottom out.
  5. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

we have got an 05 silverado 1500 with an arctic 7 1/2 footer... we just turned the torsion bars 5 full turns from factory and thats all.
  6. mehaw1

mehaw1 Junior Member

I've had an 88 1/2 ton gm truck with 8 ft arctic plow, all I did was crank up t-bars 3-4 turns and never had a problem. I then put the plow on my 98, installed timbrens with no t-bar adjustment and no problems at all with the 8 ft.
  7. MnM

MnM Senior Member

we have a similar truck and run a 7.5 boss on it and I wouldnt go any bigger than that,It handles it great but wouldnt want to push it any further
  8. vmderrick

vmderrick Junior Member

I have a 1500 also and my truck sinks when i put the plow up. I do not want to adjust my torsion bars because that puts stress on other parts of the front end. Is there anything i can do? please help i am new to this site. Its a 06 gmc 1500
  9. occ3377

occ3377 Member

have you looked into timbrens? They are well liked from what i have heard
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  10. Squires

Squires Senior Member

i guess i should mention that i don't have torsion bars as they are no longer as of 07(next generation) style of truck.

Im looking for the best bang for the buck in the 7.5 market, i would like the 26 but there all sold out here, they can however get a 7.5 29 (558lbs) series but that is probably too much?
    the guy at the arctic dealer told me the poly std 7.5 is heavier than the steel, as did the guy with hiniker due to bracing, but on the arctic site the ploy is 542 vs 596 for the steel
    and these are recommended. bringing me back to the 29 whick weighs less than the arctic.

So i guess what im looking for is info as to what would be the best bang for the buck suited blade for my "little" half ton.

11. chevykid

chevykid Member

have a 03 silveradohd with the quadra steer truck handels a 7 1/2 meyer steel blade perfectly the qaudrasteer system realy does add some weight to the back also got the t bars cranked up truck doesnt drop much at all while the blade is raised
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

To keep thing's simpler, add a .5 in your sig so it reads 07.5 In 07 you could get a 07 classic or a totally redesigned 07 (nnbs to a lot of guys, new new body style:D)
  13. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I just put a 8' hinker on my 07 NBS GMC 1/2 ton and it works fine.
    now that being said I would not work this combo commercially.
    I baby mine and don't go to far with it on. I had a Hinker 700 homeowner plow
    7' it was too narrow for the NBS which is 3 inches wider then the old style and just didn;t
    have the weight to plow. IF your going to carry the plow any distance you could can put 7.5 or 8 foot snoway on and stay under the weight limit. If I was to have my plow on and put three other 200lb guys in my truck along with the 300lb ballast I would be Overloaded. thats why those Quick matches dont show you the option to put a bigger plow on. they assume we are dumb and will fill our ext cab and crew cabs with 4 guys while plowing :) ps Im really glad I got 8' for a plow only 16lbs more for the 8' vs the 7.5' the plow weights little over 600 and the mount for the 1/2 ton is 75lbs total. You can get a much lighter plow and down pressure to make up for the lighter weight if you go Snow way.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  14. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I've got an 07 silverado 'new style' 1500 with a snoway 26. Its got the 5.3 with plenty of power. It holds the snoway up fine with no problems. I payed $4800 from the snoway dealer near Milwaukee.

My only regret is that I didn't get the snow prep package with the bigger alternator. I've had issues with battery dying. I plan on upgrading the alternator and adding an additional battery.
  15. Squires

Squires Senior Member

The 26 is what i wanted, but the dealer here says there all out for the season, i found a 4 year old plow complete for $2600 but by the time i get the new mount(3 pin to new style) and wiring then im $1950+tax (Mount $1600, wiring $350) into new parts not another $200 for a new blade skin so im almost at the price for a new one, ($5600+tax) These are canadian prices, but im on an island as far east in canada as you can do so i think we get dinged on shipping. They want $6200+tax for the 7.5 29 series and $400 for the 2.5in skyjacker lift(dealer says its better than timbrens?)

As for the plow prep package that is only available on the reg cabs, i have the ext cab, but i do have the tow package which has the trans cooler, but i guess not the high output alternator? What does the plow prep consist of besides that? anything else? i think an aux button on the dash for lights too?
  16. ATOM

ATOM Junior Member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  17. Squires

Squires Senior Member

yes was 400 installed, thre are two kinds available the top like pictured and a bottom mount one as well. Trouble is they can't get another 26 series snoway, or so they say but they have access to a 29 series but that may be too much for a half ton?
  18. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

We've got a short box '06 1500 with a 7.5 V Boss. Put Timbrens in the front and 400 lbs in the back and BF Goodrich AllTerrains all around. Given its manouverability it can almost keep up with the diesel pick-ups. No issues except for the gas it drinks:dizzy: There's a dealer in St John's
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  19. lucky4511

lucky4511 Member

we plow with a 99 silverado, new body style, and a 7.5 curtis 3000. put timbrens on front and back and with plow up the front end barely moves. we have been told the most we should go is 7.5.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

if you take a ride around here youll see alot more 1/2 tons plowing then you will see 3/4 tons imo. and we get a crapload of snow. the 3/4 tons are here but they are driven by the people that make it hard to buy a work truck for a fair price. you know theyre the loaded up models that cost 40gs. the workers cant afford so they make do. i test drove a 3/4 ford and nearly lost a kidney on the same tracks i drove my 1/2 ton on lol