1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

150,000 sqft

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Burkartsplow, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have to salt 150,000 sq ft of lot and dirve. If I use 50 lbs rock salt, how many bags do I need. Is there a formula for sq ft. to amount of salt needed to cover. thanks

2. Dhouse

Dhouse Member

You need to divide 150,000 by how much sq.ft. the bag of salt covers. You be better of going with bulk salt, overall

3. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

This calculator program I have tells me

DE-ICING AGENTS FOR 150 000 SQ FT
    SALT
    Lbs. 2025
    Tons 1.01
    Bags 40.5 50 lb bags

JUST FOR REFERENCE for 5000 sq ft

SALT
    Lbs. 67.5
    Tons 0.03
    Bags 1.4 50 lb bags

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It sounds fairly close for bags. You always use less lbs using bags then bulk.

5. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Sounds light to me but what do i know?

6. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Lots of things are going to determine how much you will need. Temperature. Is the snow bonded or not bonded to the pavement. Does it get sunshine or shade. Whats the temperature going to be tomorrow?

This is my first year applying salt or product. I have been applying fertilizers for ever so I understand the process. I've also done some math, talked to some people, and paid attention to what others are doing and have come to the conclusion that most people tend to over apply. Not just by enough to be sure but by A Lot.

I think Midtowns numbers are pretty close if not spot on to what I would try to accomplish. Its about 500 lbs an acre. Just about 12lbs per 1000 sq ft

Has a lot to do with bulk vs bagged and what unit you're using too and whos throwing the salt.

If I am the owner and running bagged product in a tailgate I am more judicious than sending someone who works for me out with a v-box and bulk.

Anyways. Lots of variables. 500 an acre is a good place to start. Each ones different.

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Thanks guys. I was working on that today and I came up with some numbers that were close to that. I run bagged salt for now, in the future I am going to go balk. One more question. this apt. complex have there own salt, what do you think would be a good price to charge them if I throw their salt with my truck? thanks again for all your guys help..

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

go for it if you ain't got to buy the salt and if it pits the cement or whatever prob. they (apt mnger) may fabricate it won't be on you but i would charge by the hour and double it and i would also have a 1hr min. if they have salt why don't they have a spreader? my.$02

9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Get at least $7 a bag to apply there product. Its hard work throwing bags and hard on the truck. Where will you load the truck ? Loading a tail gate unit from the ground sucks donkey. You need a lift to at least get the skid in the truck, and load the hopper from the bed . The $7 is for 40 bags plus. If your only throwing 3 or 4 bags get way more then that.

10. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I don't do salt. Not required for my contracts. BUT

Has anyone ever considered getting a horse watering tank and putting it in the back of the truck. Having the bulk salt dumped into that and then shoveling it from there into the tailgate hopper? Keeping it tarpped to stay dry of course.

It would eliminate handling the bags from the store to the cart, cart to truck, truck to garage, garage to truck (unless by the pallet). You could also shovel in the exact amount to fill the hopper instead of not filling it all the way or leaving a half of a bag until next time. No bags to throw away or have blow out of your truck. A shovel full weighs less than a 40lb bag so that could save your back. AND the cost for bulk is much less than by the bag.

Down side would be keeping track of the amount. Pretty easy to count bags rather than shovel fulls.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The Mexicans here just get a load of bulk dumped in the bed of there truck. Problem is most tailgate units wont run bulk real well with out a vibrator. They ride around with a guy in back shoveling and working the OL Broom handle as well. Pretty funnyto see, also see a guy who has a Snow Ex 8000 with a guy in back with a broom handle as well.

12. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Like I said, I don't salt. Didn't realize they were such a different product. That would be funny to see. People ask if I get cold running the Quad on sidewalks. I bet that guy is freezing and wishing he was the one that won the coin toss to be the driver.