1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'15/'16 Winter - Anchorage, AK

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by 91AK250, Oct 5, 2015.

1. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

Well guys, after the terrible season last year i'm hoping for some real winter weather. We had a record low snowfall last season of 25"!! Average is closer to 80" with a record year only 2 years ago when i had over 210" at my house by the spring.

Plow sales went in the tank by December last year as nobody was buying, since there was nothing to push. I only plowed my own driveway one time all last winter.

I'm not sure what to make of things this year. Sept 17th we had snow just up the hill from my house and last week on Sept 30th we got snow in town.

Here's to hoping we get a real winter this season!

Sept 17th
    [​IMG]

Sept 29th
    [​IMG]

Sept 30th
    [​IMG]

Today, snow has all melted and i put the plow on the F-250.
    [​IMG]

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It looks beautiful there but snow in September, I'd move. 5 months of winter is long enough.

3. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Hope you get some action this year!

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Subscribed..........

5. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Is it unusual for you to get a couple snows in September.

6. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

I was in Fairbanks on Tuesday of last week when all the wet, heavy snow came down (14"). It then followed me to Anchorage as there was 2-3" that began Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning. It was good to see the "white gold" again!

7. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure this year will have more snow then last year.

8. 91AK250

Is that you Rick?? :D

September snow is not out of the norm, we typically don'y get anything sticking until Halloween. Snow season on average is from October - April.

Weather now is back in the high 40s in the day and close to freezing at night, we'll see what the next few weeks brings. I'm not switching over to snow tires on all our cars/trucks just yet….

9. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Looks good! Although I'm not quite ready yet. My memory is not so good, but wasn't it 2011 when AK got pounded and the rest of the states pretty much nothing? That was the one winter I decided to take off because my wife had twins. I think I shoveled my drive 3 times.

10. 91AK250

Yes, 2011 was the crazy year. It did not stop that winter!

for a refresh click the link below
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=125390&page=2

11. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

El Nino is known to bring warmer and drier conditions for most of AK except around anchorage where ocean moisture and warmer temps can cause various small events. I hope we all get a winter worth while to plow. Last year here in NH we got BURIED! i loved it, but my truck and equipment took a beating, don't know is i coul do a double season of that again. Here's to a white and green filled winter!

12. 91AK250

El Nino does weird things here and nobody really knows how it's going to play out until it comes. They say it could be the same as last year with warm temps and no moisture or it could be real wet. So far we've been above normal temps all month so far, but this week it looks like things are going to change with snow called for Friday and Saturday...we'll see how it plays out.

Been mid 40s every day with only a couple nights below freezing..one day was 25.

I'll be sure to update!

13. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

El Nino. It is being less talked about and the maps are showing it moving southward. Surprise.

global maps are showing notable and early snow in the European areas. Ice is now starting to form fast in the artic. Plenty of moisture.

I'm gonna say sw lower alaska below average. Upper ne colder and snowier. Like a line. I'm going with more of the state getting a normal winter than last year.

14. 91AK250

Well, Thursday it was high 40s and they were calling for Snow Friday...I wasn't so sure. Well it came though and looks like winter is here. They are calling for more snow tonight and later in the week. Nothing plowable yet but if it keeps up it will be!

NOAA:

Few photos from Friday and Sat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. 91AK250

Last night on my way home from a friends.

[​IMG]

16. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Just checked the weather in Anchorage (-6) and Fairbanks (-18). Stay warm up there. Looks like up to 6" of snow in Anchorage possible today. Have fun and stay warm 91AK250. Oh, and, keep on selling those plows!

17. 91AK250

finally some real stuff! I actually got to use the plow, I almost forgot what it was like to spend a day plowing after all of last season.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. 91AK250

19. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Really enjoy seeing all your pictures. I'm surprised you never went with a bigger plow with all the snow you guys usually get up there.

20. 91AK250

I only do driveways and my road sometimes, the 7'6" is the perfect size for the situations I get into.

I picked up another drive this season, nice big open gravel drive. I didn't really want another but what he offered I could not turn down. Only wants me to come up if we get 6" or more.

I'm going to be mounting up some nearly new Blizzaks on the truck in the next few weeks, I had them on my Expedition which I sold a few weeks ago.