1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$15.00 Snow Deflector, in under 1 hour

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by paponte, Jan 7, 2004.

1. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Call me cheap... I can live with that. But I couldn't see spending $125.00, plus tax on a piece of rubber and a piece of flat stock.

I went down to a local screening yard that we get all of our topsoil from, to see if they had any old conveyor laying around. Guy told me they had tons behind their shop, to feel free and take what I needed. Cost... $0. Went to the steel shop on the way home, and picked up a 10' piece of flat steel for $15.00.

With about and hours time toying around and taking my time, I have a snow deflector for about $110.00 cheaper then I could have gotten it from any local suppliers. That I can live with also. :cool:

[​IMG]

2. Chuckwk

Chuckwk Founder

wow, great job!!

3. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

$15.00

That looks damn good. Wish I could have done something like that for the cutting edges on my mvp before i spent the 160 bucks for the edges and another 90 for the flap kit in the middle

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

looks good but if that truck sees anything more then 10 or so mph the rubber is too short, it should hang down the bottom of the boss logo or 1/3 of the blade. have fun payup

5. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Nice job paponte! :salute:

6. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Nice job, got any rubber left over? I need one too!

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Outstanding! I love homemade things. Take your wife out to dinner on the money you saved. or buy a piece of equipement that you want and can't build.

8. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I cut the rubber to 8" wide. Wat are we talking about, maybe another 2"? I think I should be fine. If not, I'll just cut myself another piece. :cool:

ksland, actually I have about a 40'x2' roll of it.

9. Filer

Filer Member
    from Canada

Nice Job paponte :drinkup:

I work in a sawmill and will make mine the same way you did but just a little cheaper :D. I will take the conveyor belt , flat bar, nuts & bolts all from work :p

10. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Let's hear it for good ol enginuity.

I was thinking about doing the same thing for my plow.

11. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Don't take offense, it's a dealer that is critiquing it. Read between the lines, he probably really likes it, but it is after all taking money out of his pocket. I'm not too sure that my insurance man would appreciate it if he thought that I was speed plowing.

12. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

i was thinking of using an old hard plastic mud flap for mine. Ya it will need to be in pieces but I think to myself so what.......Rob

13. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I used the same thing. 1/2 thick conveyour belt but I didn't use flat stock, I used nuts, bolts, and big flat washers. Mine hangs down to the bottom of the Boss sticker.:waving:
    As far as the speed plowing thing goes, I have to many accounts to do to plow slow all night.

14. Big Nate's Plowing

um, seriously no, after selling over 1500 deflectors I KNOW what works and what dosent. I even have a chart that shows the prefered applications for what sizes. I like that people are thinking out of the box and making their own, it is just when someone makes their own and it is not sized correctly for the application they will not be happy with the end results and will say "rubber deflectors dont work"

[​IMG]

I think I am one of the few business owners that would rather help someone make the part work then sell them another.

thanks for your assumption Rob

oh and on a 10' blade I usualy recomend a 12" or a 14"

15. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Ok, so now the deflector cost me $35.00... had to be different.:cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2004
  16. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Big Nate,

If I said anything to make you mad I'm sorry. Nothing I said was directed at you.....Rob

17. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I'm still wondering how that truck will plow :eek:

18. Big Nate's Plowing

it was supposed to be Dan not you Rob, sorry for the mixup

19. IndySnowPlowers

IndySnowPlowers Member
    from Indiana

Nice!!

The decals are awesome on it. OK, now I need to go do something like this.

I have a 7.5' Boss RT3 and still have the cheapie deflector that came with it.....doesn't work well. I also have the website advertised on it backwards so people see it in their rearview. But this looks MUCH nicer!

I should have plenty of time to make one. Because it sure isn't snowing here!

Nice job!! :nod:

20. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

No harm done, Thnx nate....Rob