1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

14000 sq ft

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Aug 19, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

I was asked to place a bid on a lot that is just over 14000 sq ft with a small gravel drive next to the main lot. The lot is pretty much wide open.

This is my first year plowing and would like your input on my guestimations.

25 min. to complete at 2-4" of snow

2-4" - 32.00

4-8" - 45.00

8-12" - 60.00 with an additional 1.oo / inch over 12

No salt will be added, those are plowing prices only.

What do you guys think? Please some help here would be great.

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If you are using a straight blade plow I would charge.

2-4--- 25 min.---32.00 If that includes travel time.
    4-8----------------64.00 + if inclined to give discount.
    8-12---------------94.00 + if inclined to give discount.

It is my experience using a straight blade, that double the snow cannot be done in double the time.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

While I agree with Dave that double snow depth cannot be done in double the time, I do charge as you showed. Just how I do it. Others do as he showed. You will have to decide this. But as far as times, I answered your post about this on the other forum.

4. Bolts Indus.

Thanks Mick. Doing it your way, does it work out for you in terms of profit? I run by the hour mostly so I'm willing to learn.

5. Mick

from Maine

Dave, yes it works very well since it's on the principle of volume (doing as few pushes per storm as possible) but also if it's going to be, say 20", I may only push twice the whole storm. Around here, you usually just wait till it's over. Last year I pushed 30" at a couple of places. So for a $30 driveway, that would have been $78 ($60 for 12" + $18). The other thing is, I use a diesel 3500. It can push 30" just about as easily as 4" so the fuel used isn't more.

Everything I do is Per Push. I've never pushed Hourly.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  6. Bolts Indus.

Food for thought. Thanks.

7. clncut

Thanks for all your responses.

8. clncut

Mick,

Where is the thread your talkin about on how long certain snowfalls take to plow?

9. Mick

from Maine

clncut, not sure what you're talking about. I don't think I said there was a thread like that. I simply agreed with Bolts Indus (Dave) that it would take more than twice as long to plow a snowfall that is twice the amount of another snowfall. This is simply based on experience. For instance, if I could plow a certain area in 15 minutes with 5 inches, then I would allow more than 30 minutes to plow the same area it there was 10 inches. That's why most people who plow by the hour will plow at a certain preset amount of snow. Those who push like I was talking about will push as much as possible with each plowing. But then you run into other factors such as being harder on equipment and more likelihood of truck breakdown. And that is why I prefer my diesel truck. It's stronger than my 1/2 ton, more power and more fuel efficient because it's not working so hard pushing bigger loads.

The reference to more than twice the time is using a 1/2 ton with a 7 1/2' plow which is the most common on this site. Like everything elsed, you can make a case for the opposite using other or bigger equipment, loaders, dump trucks. etc. I was assuming this was not the case for the 14,000 sq ft lot you're talking about.

Sorry if I'm being confusing.

10. clncut

no, I gotcha now, This is just new to me so I want to make sure Im bidding correctly. Thanks Mick