1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'14 F350 diesel questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Broncslefty7, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

bought a 2014 F350 pick up last year with the 6.7 in it and put a 9 ft boss straight blade on it. maybe its just another shotty ford diesel but the thing always sounds and runs like its laboring, even when not plowing. ive driven 7.3's and 6.0 and they werent even this bad. never mind the fact that the dealer says i should be able to get 10k miles on a tank of def, 900 miles later filling it up.... dealer says its normal to chug def while plowing and idling. i dont know after our last 6.0 its probly going to be the last ford i ever buy. i have three trucks that need replacing this year and thing of going Ram 3500 diesels.

is anyone else noticing their 6.7 seems to be working very hard with little output?

2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

All the new diesels suck. I'd go gas. I never hear of anybody complain about their gas trucks.

3. Broncslefty7

my grandfather always told me, diesel last longer, less maintenance, more "heavy duty" so thats always what i thought. he has been buying ford diesel for 61 years for his fleet. how ever i drove a ram 3500 and a 5500 dump last year, and those things sure know how to put the power down. my 05 jeep cheroke gets 13 MPG with a v8 i cant imagine the MPG of a v10 or a 6.4 hemi especially plowing.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

On my 4th 6.7, best motor of all the ford diesels altogether. Lose the dpf and you'll be a happy camper.

5. Broncslefty7

better than the 7.3? dpf?

6. Broncslefty7

oo the filter. every couple hours whiole plowing it flashes the "cleaning exhaust filter" message or something along those lines. whats the benefit of removing the filter?

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

That message no longer appears. More power and longer life since it doesn't have to regenerate.

And yes better than the 7.3. 7.3 is a dinosaur

8. Broncslefty7

its funny only diesel i ever drove was a 7.3, then one day i drove a 6.7 and thought it was gas it was so quiet lol.

9. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

No I feel mine has way more power than my 6.0 powerstoke. It pulls whatever I want and seems to struggle and downshift less than my older 6.0. I have about 12000 miles on the truck and have filled the def twice.

10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

ditch the DEF and exhaust system replacing it with a straight pipe. then you will have a rocket ship.

11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

So what do you have to do if you ditch the def to get an inspection sticker?

12. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

In NH its safety only...so that means they look away...if you know someone lol.

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

On a 13-and up the only way your going to "ditch" anything is to go with "EFI live".
    The days of delete tuners are gone.
    It will be a $1500 investment in a EFI programing and you can kiss the power-train warranty good bye.

get a gasser,
    I as many on here will tell you they run out of traction long before they run out of power.

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Not true. My 13 and 14 tuned.

I think EFI live is for GM's, I could be wrong but never heard of that being used on a Ford.

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

ok I know almost diddly about the furd.
    but you can no longer get a deletable tuner(by law) unless you buy a used one from a private party..

the EPA will fine them into bankruptcy, regardless of brand. Just ask H&S....

no deletable tuners are on the market that will allow a 13and up cummins to be deleted.

efi live is available for the cummins 6.7, 13 and up.

16. 05ram

05ram Member

I do a lot more city driving than highway. The def usually lasts about 1 gal/1,000 miles running empty on my 11 f350. We will see what happens when I hang a stainless mvp3 on it.

17. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You can still get them. You just have to know where to look

Efi is for Chevy. Cummins just got supported recently. No support for ford yet

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

you can get a used one from a private party, if a dealer is selling it, thay can be in deep dodo

"the EPA recently enforced its position against the sales of DPF kits with a recent suit against one aftarmarket programmer manufacturer. Edge Products, out of Ogden, Utah, sold more than 9,000 units from 2009 to 2011. The company now must pay a 500,000 fine and buy back the devices from their customers. The company must also spend more than $150K in implemtation of an emissions mitigation project to offset the particulate matter emissions the EPA claims the sales of these devices caused.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Like I said. You have to know where to look.

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

and kiss the warranty good by....
    I can see taking the chance with a cummins buy you have to be crazy to do it with a furd.

November 13, 2012
    Due to our dialogue with governmental agencies within the United States, H&S Performance, LLC has decided to voluntarily suspend production of all tuning devices and EGR/DPF modification kits, effective immediately. Many H&S products and accessories not affected by this situation are still available, and will continue to be available through our dealer network and our website.
    We are now working diligently to remedy this situation, and look to again offer tuning products to our customers at the earliest date possible. Rest assured that we are doing everything within our power to move forward and resume product sales, and thank each of our loyal customers for their patience and support during this time.
    We at H&S are committed to providing our customers with the highest quality, most innovative products available. H&S products are unrivaled in quality, ingenuity, and technology, and are backed up by the best customer service in the industry. All future H&S products offered will be built upon these same principals, and will be manufactured to satisfy the needs of our auto enthusiast customers. Information concerning the continuation of production of our products will be made available to the public as soon as possible.
    Although shipping has been suspended, H&S is committed to providing our existing customers with the highest level of service possible, and will continue to do so without interruption. Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time should you require assistance with any H&S product, we are here to help.
    Thank you for your continued support of H&S Performance, LLC, the World Leader in Diesel Performance.
    Sincerely,
    H&S Performance, LLC
    4160 S. River Road
    St. George, UT 84790

I wouldn't use a tuner as they are mostly crap.
    but EFI is interesting,
    and yes, my DPF was stolen.:)
    so don't take me as a naysayer.