1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

14 bolt

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevys850, May 23, 2003.

1. chevys850

chevys850 Junior Member
    from fl

im lookin to put a 14 bolt ff into my 84 k10. i found one that i think will work put the told me that it is from a dully. now can somebody tell me a sure way to tell the difference between a dully and an single rear wheel 14 bolt ff. thanks

2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

If it's a dually axle don't buy it. If it's from a cab and chassis, it will be to narrow, if it's from a pick up and it will be to wide. How much were they looking to charge you for the axle?

3. chevys850

chevys850 Junior Member
    from fl

they want $400 for this 14 bolt, it measuses up about the same as the 10 bolt i have, as best as i could measure. is there a big obvious difference in the hubs of a dully and single wheel rear.

4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

If it measures the same as your 10 bolt it's from a single wheel truck. Measure from hub to hub to be sure.

$400 is not a bad price if it's in good cond. But you need to move the spring pads to match your truck. Your rear shaft will need to be modified as well.

Are you lifting it and thats why the 14bff axle? What about the front?

5. chevys850

chevys850 Junior Member
    from fl

yea the axle looks ok, ill have to go out there again just to make sure. ive got 6" lift and have been runing 35s for a while now. my 10 bolts have held up fine, but ive got some exta money and am ready to kick it up a notch with the 14 ff. thanks for your help.

kevin

6. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I have a set of 1 ton axles for sale GM. Dana 60 front and the 14bff rear for $900. Shipping to you would run maybe 300 bucks or so.

7. chevys850

chevys850 Junior Member
    from fl

tell me more. gear ratio, condition, anything.

8. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

They are in good cond. and have 4.10 gears

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Joey i have the same rear end in my '97 how is your millage?It's a good truck for plowing and pulling but bad on the open road .

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

One other thing Joey the 4" exhaust that you put on your truck did you notice any HP or millage improvement?

11. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

cat320, It's not bad. I have never get lower than 14 on a tank, unless towing or plowing and all highway it will see 17-18 driving at 70mph. Hows your truck treated you? I have no complaints with mine. I see your close by, what do you do for work?

12. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Maybe a little bit of each. It does sound nice full throttle though.

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

My truck is OK i'm on the 3rd injection pump it tows and plows good.I would just like to get more power from it and a bit better millage.I do floor coverings carpet ,tile,vinyl, kit and bath remodeling plus digging with my backhoe and of course plowing.I know we are pretty close your in Arlington ,just did a job there over by the reservoir.

14. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Who works on your truck? I had one pump on my truck done when it was new, under 1000 miles as it had a rough spot at 900rpm. Very noticable when backing up my trailer. Other than that nothing. I have a friend at Liberty Chevy who took care of it. I just ordered new high flow injectors and a boost controll. I am looking at different intercooling options for more power as well. I have an adjustable boost controll that plugs in under the hood that I have been running that I should let you try out, gives a small bump up in the HP. Let me know I can plug it in your truck for a few days and see if you like it.
    I am an electrician always looking for work so if you ever need one let me know.

15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have been bring it to Lannan the time before last had to have it towed in ,i was lucky this time to be able to drive in but under warnanty except for the crushed fuel line.Right now every thing is still stock I thought the exaust would rot out so i could upgrade to the 4" but still going strong.

16. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

When I removed the stock exhaust it was all thick and heavy pipe, so it may last a long time.

17. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

with all the salt from plowing i thought ot would go fast like all the rust that i'm getting on the frame.we will have to get together and compare trucks some day Joey.

18. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

cat, I have some new perf. parts showing up this week and will install them this weekend. I will have the boost controll off so maybe next week some time we can meet up and you can try it on your truck.

19. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

That be cool Joey Would like to see all the things you put on your truck.Hopefully the weather will be better and not raining.

20. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Got any pics :waving: ?