1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

14 bolt gear removal

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CNO, May 1, 2000.

1. CNO

CNO Guest

I am needing info on changing ring and pinion on 14blt.10.5 gear. was wondering how complicated it is to switch from diff.to diff.and if the pinion comes out of the housing intact with the bearing's I have looked for this info in chilton's and haynes but could not find. Thanks CNO<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: CNO

2. yortengel

yortengel Senior Member

I need to know what type of truck you have?what year, ECT.

3. CNO

CNO Guest

73 gmc all 14 bolt 10.5 ring gear's should be the same to my understanding.it has 410 ratio.<br>

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

If you've never done this,expect a lot of swearing.the carrier is a slight press fit-if the bearings are good.So when you try to put it back in with the shims-it will be a pain without the case spreader tool.It can be done,but its best left to the pro's unless your willing to live with gear whine when your done-good luck<p>----------<br>John D<br>

5. yortengel

yortengel Senior Member

<p>OK. On 73 it’s not the same as some of the older or heavier stuff. I would listen to John on this one. If you have never done it. It will give you nothing but problems. I recommend finding a good ring & pinion shop.<br>