1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

14 bolt ff,need help please!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by IBANAZE, Oct 26, 2003.

IBANAZE Junior Member
    from ncu

hello to all,I have a 1985 full size Chevy truck 1/2 ton 4x4,I am putting 1 ton axles in it I have the front done,but the back, well that's my question,I have a 1976 or 78 I forgot which, 14 bolt FF,I know that all will bolt up,but the thing I am having problems is the emerges brake cables, on a 1984 and up the cables changed from a 2 bolt clamp to a round hole to push the cable in and it locks,do they make anything to fix this or something I can do,thanks God Bless Eric from n.c.
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

get a couple of those brakets and bolt them on.
  3. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

I don't completely understand how the cables work on your newer truck, but I've replaced the cable on my '75 K25 with 14 bolt FF.

When I got it, my truck had cables sticking out of the axle with nothing attached to them. There were small brackets on the frame that held the end of the cable up near the frame. I also had a cable sticking through the firewall/floor under the driver's seat and it was not attached to anything in the cab or under the truck.

I first replaced the emergency brake pedal and bracket in the cab and connected it to that end of the cable.

I bought an emergency brake cable and connectors from LMC Truck. The cable forms one continuous U-shaped loop, with each end of the loop connected to the cables at the axle, using some small connectors that clip around the cable. At the cab end there was a U-shaped bracket that fit around cable loop on the driver's side, and it bolted up to the cable coming from the pedal in the driver's compartment. I also used steel rod from Home depot (3/8"?) and bent it to make a hanger to hold the passenger side of the loop so it would stay tight. This is the same type of hangar used for the original cable.

IBANAZE Junior Member
    from ncu

14 bolt FF change over E-cable

hello bruce,thanks for replying,i have 1-14 bolt ff thats a 1987 model in my work truck (single tire 1 ton ulity) i have about 4 or 5 in between 1973 to 1978 14 bolt ff, the only differents are where the e-brake cables mount,the older has the 2 bolt bracket and the newer has the snap in cable,on my 1985 it has the snap in type connection,also the brake brackets on the truck are very different than whats on some of my 74,78,79 trucks,thats what i am running into,the old cables wont hook to any brackets i have on my new truck because on the new one both the main cables are running together on the driver side,on the 70's modles they are like u said,i was wanting to get away frm the old way they had it and try to use the newer way on the 85,but i didnt know if they made some sort of kit u could buy or if someone has run into this problem..thanks for any help u can give eric from n.c.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Have you tried just using the newer cables ? I don't think they changed the length.Any good parts store should have the cable length listings in their books.