1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

14 bolt disc brake conversion

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Alan, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm contemplating converting the rear brakes on my K3500 to discs. The bracket kit is now available for the 14 s.f. and uses the same calipers and rotors the f.f. version did. Parts are front components from late 70s 3/4 ton models or rear Cadillac Eldorado if you need to keep a parking brake. I'm a little leery as there is a lot less swept area with those pads than there is with the current shoes. Main advantage as I see right now is that they will actually work as self adjusting as opposed to the ones I ahve now. Seems like after a bunch of years and miles the self adjusters never work right, even if you put in all new parts.

Has anyone done this conversion or know of anyone who has and can offer some valid feedback as to how well it works?
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have done a few,using a custom fabbed bracket to mount the calipers.They do perform just as good if not better than the regular stock rear drum brakes.

Do not use the Eldorado rear calipers.They are prone to siezing with all the salt and winter use.Use the regular calipers,and fab up a driveshaft mounted parking brake.You may have to play around with different proportioning\metering valves to see the full benefit of the rear disks

You could also upgrade your existing drums,to improve the performance.A good set of metallic rear shoes,with a wheel cylinder upgrade will increase braking performance.They will still need regular maintenance and adjustment for peak performance.
  3. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

There is a ton of info about it on the net,just do a Yahoo search.There used to be a web page about a guy who did the conversion,and found that the proportioning valve wasn't correct for a disc brake application,and it didn't perform as it should.He was an engineer,so he took it all apart and modified it,and got it all working correctly.It can no longer find it.If I do,i'll post it.