1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

14/15 Superduties & Low Voltage Drop Reboots Dash/Nav Displays

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by gvales, Feb 16, 2015.

1. gvales

gvales Junior Member

I have a 2015 Ford F350 Lariat with snow plow prep pckg and 3 year old Western 8' Ultramount Pro Plus.

So last week I'm just driving down the road, heat is blasting, radio on, lights on...went to adjust the plow a little for better headlight usage, when I hit the plow, BAZAAAM...all dash lights, displays, radio, nav screen all go OFF! Then "click", it all comes back on like a reboot almost! I **** my pants. Thinking it was a freak occurrence, I try to replicate...AND I do, over and over...so today finally after it happening a few more times I call the Western installer. Didn't get my story half out when he said "you either have a new Ford or GM"..."yes"....well he went on to tell me this..

Ford (and GM) are fully aware of this problem, EVEN on snowplow prep trucks....under the extreme cold conditions, the pumps of course work harder, drawing more power, and when the truck sees a voltage drop below 11.something, it does this. he told me to contact my dealer. So I did. According to my dealer, they are aware of this, and they are awaiting for ford to give them a fix! I said well if its happening on 14's too, then they knew this last year!!!

So the Western Bulletin is SP 837.

Does anyone have any insight on this? I think its bull**** that a "Snowplow Prep" vehicle should act like that!

Western dealer also did say a few people (probably that depends on plowing an (income) have added a 2nd battery to cure it out of pocket! I refuse to pay more for something that should be working proper in a $60000 truck, ESPECIALLY equipped with snow plow prep!
  2. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

We're are aware, there are multiple threads in the Chevy area.

The technical bulletin Chevy and fisher put out says they are working on it. Claims it has to do with the computer and the new 220amp alt in the Chevy's. Not anything to do with temp as far as I can see, happened to me at over 40 when I was checking my plow and again below zero when plowing.

They claim the more draw you have on (lights, heat, radio, etc.) The less it will happen. Some people say using the tow/haul mode helps too but I haven't tried that yet.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The plow prep package usually comes with a second battery??? I have seen some plow kits that have an isolator relay between the two batteries that cause a small voltage drop resulting in error beeps when the snow equipment (plow or tornado) is run with engine off but you apparently have only one battery. I would be looking at where the large plow power cables are connected and how. Lose or poor connections could cause a voltage drop to your vehicle ECMs. Connect the plow power cables directly on the battery clamps if possible so the battery can "fill in" the low voltage easier when the plow motor kicks in. And make sure all main cables at the battery for both the plow and vehicle feed are clean and tight. Some new tricks have big chiclet fuses on the positive post. Make sure the plow current does NOT pass through any fuse as that would surely cause s voltage drop.
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

As stated, countless post about this. On my 4th SD since 2011, they all diesel, twin batt's, some with twin Alt's, they do it.

Its really only affecting the plow package trucks. The problem according to them is to much power as is a safety the trips and reboots.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  5. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Mine seems to be cold related. Had the F250 for 3 weeks and it didn't happen till the record cold we've had the last couple days
  6. gvales

gvales Junior Member

Any resolve on this yet????
  7. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Member

Guys I had this happen ONCE or TWICE with my 2011 F-250 6.2l with heavy duty alternator, it was ONLY because the wiring for the plow, the main ground and power wire was making a terrible connection at the plug, plow drew way more amps then it should and this reset happened or maybe the computer sensed a battery voltage drop below a certain thresh hold, one of the big pins was loose/damaged had to replace the whole wiring, i understand this is a bit different then the current 2014-up issue, as with the 2014-up you don't have any other problems to cause this, all brand new equipment.

I have discussed the issues of the single 650cca battery in the gas engine Ford trucks before, simply put it's not enough if you plow, invest the money in a second battery kit, this is a no brainer and gives you peace of mind, and it's a must in my opinion, yes ford (and others) have to fix the problem with the 2014-up, but weather the issue is there or not, I'm still running two batteries in my truck, it's a small investment for some needed assurance. There is a really nice second battery kit available for the 6.2l engine.

If your buying a truck to plow, get the dual alternators on diesels, and get the heavy duty on gas, that to me is also a no brainer. Those are small investments compared to the benefit they provide. We prefer NOT to isolate the batteries as well, both charge same both drain same, better chance of the system staying above the voltage thresh hold, remember more parts more problems, voltage drops amps go up, these trucks with the heavy duty alternators or diesels with dual alternators have the capability to recharge a GOOD/QUALITY battery just fine, I really don't believe this issue has anything to do with the alternators, if anything it's the battery voltages dropping or software related in the vehicles, but for it to be the same across several vehicle manufacturers who have different software?? there has to be a common variable. Is this only happening in extreme cold? The last two winters were pretty cold here in Chicago and elsewhere might not be a coincidence that the problems showed up during these two winters. Is this mostly happening in gas engine trucks with one battery, I know some diesels have the issue, but if they had low batteries on their way out i can see it happening to them too. These Ford oem batteries included in the trucks from the factory on brand new vehicles are not very good, we are replacing them after just 2 years or less. They appear to be different then even replacement Motorcraft batteries too, I would not be surprised if they are made by two different manufacturers. In any case we prefer to use duralast gold or agm platinum, have had great experience with them, but with the usage we put on them with our plow equipment, expect them to only last three years, we replace them at that point no matter what, I will not be having issues or be stranded because of something as simple as a battery, batteries fail in many different ways, internal shorts, inability to recharge, low cca output, they can show 12.5 volts on a multimeter and be garbage.
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  8. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Member

Is there any updates on this issue? I just got a 2015 F-350 that is getting a western wide out on it.
  9. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Member

anyone know?
  10. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

Well here I thought it was just a fluke on the 15 F350 gas I bought in December... Guess I'll be looking at that 2nd battery add on
  11. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Won't solve issue
  12. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

Scratch that then... :salute:
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Glad I bought a Ram. No plow prep, no problems.
  14. Dieselplow82

Dieselplow82 Member

Had the same problem last year with my f250 and it's an 05
  15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's just a sign of bad batteries and/or bad alternator. These guys are talking brand new trucks.
  16. Dieselplow82

Dieselplow82 Member

Well..swapped batteries and alternator 3 times and still had the same issue..at this point any type of advice would help
  17. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Member

Guys the problem described in this thread is in regards to a computer software issue in the newer trucks detecting amp draws, voltage drops, causing a shutdown problem, etc.

A second battery or heavier duty alternator or second alternator is not a solution to that specific problem although it doesn't hurt, however all those things in experts opinions are a must on plow trucks, they will solve other problems, save you time and money in the long run due to less down time and headaches. It's a precautionary and a piece of mind kind of thing.
  18. Any guys have this happen on a XL super duty ? I just bought a 15 F350 plow prep 6.2L, I haven't ran my MVP plow on it yet but it just has a radio but no big nav system or LCD screen. I'll get the second battery for piece of mine but I have heard about this electrical issue from a plow dealer a few years ago with all these new computers on board, they need more power!
  19. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

Does anyone know if this affecting 14 cheveys? Or just the 15's?
  20. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

The bulletin only says 2015 chevy HD trucks